Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stewart Warner Vintage Tach wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dad's 1932, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Dad's 1932

Dad's 1932
    from Santa Rosa

Hello all , I know this is another SW wiring help thread but I am at a loss . I did Google searches , Hamb Searches , Called 4 guage places and went to one swap meet and asked anyone I could with no luck . I have a SW tach with some numbers on the back . Model 765 ? maybe ? I also bought a sender I was told was for that tach ? I am not convinced I have the right combo and I certainly don't want to wire it up and cause my self more grief if it is wrong . So , has anyone been through this , have the same combo, the right combo or have some info ? Check out the pics and let me know please . I only seem to get bits and pieces of info but nothing definite .
    Thanks , Mike

Attached Files:

2. What did your mother tell you about wiring a car with all the same color wire...mmmmm
    I see what you mean about finding out the right tach/ sender combo.
    The sender you have is worth its weight in gold (especially with the box)
    That is for transistorized ignition systems.
    According to the limited info I researched, the tach is out of a Studebaker and uses a 766F sender, I suggest you confirm this as I only found limited info.

3. Dad's 1932

Dad's 1932
    from Santa Rosa

The black wire is easier . If there is a wiring problem you just replace the
    " black wire " ;) Plus it's an old school 32 Roadster so there is only like 8 wires in the whole car . Pretty easy wiring job .
    I also saw the 766 sender option which make sense to me since the tach has a #765 on the back . But...... I have not had any definite yes or no wiring answers and the one for sale on evil bay says as is and he doesn't know what it fits or if it works ??? Kinda scary to me .

DamnNearRanier likes this.
  4. I saw that one too and went to his off ebay site. He does a lot of work with vintage tachs and seems to know whats going on. I don't like the fact that he does not have the wiring schematic.

5. Canuck

Canuck

Rick's right the sender you got is worth a pretty penny, have seen them listed on E-bay for up to $200. It is for a 970 model tach. The Shelby and Yenko guys all love them.

The tach you have is a 765, not Stude but uses the same sender. They are available on evil bay, one guy seems to have a few and lists them at $85 buy it now. There is a repro version available for $75 that is a transistorized version made off shore, hooks up a little different. One of the vendors is " http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~0001003a~AAFQZ~~~~~~~0001003a ".

The wiring info for the after market sender is available at " http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~0001003a~AAFQZ~~~~~~~0001003a "

The mother lode of info is at " http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/tach/tachpert.html ", that is the wiring and testing info for Studes, but the same for the SW version.

This tach was sold and advertised in 62 .

Reason I am up to date on this is I reacently acquired the same tach but no sender. Did some digging and with the help of some people on the net found out this info and also scored a new 766 sender so just have to test it and good to go.

Good luck on your quest.

Canuck

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011