Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stewart Warner gauges help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodHighley, Jul 21, 2011.

1. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I need a little help. I am in the middle of redoing the dash in my coupe. Nothing major but I need some info on some SW gauges. I have a 60-0-60 amperes gauge small block letter 2 1/16. Does it need an external shunt or is it internal? And i have a water temp gauge 60-240. same style gauge and I can't find a sender for it. I have a stewart warner catalog, not old enough. Doesn't list much of anything except for the new stuff and I called Stewart Warner tech line..........waste of time. I am hoping someone here can help me out. Thank You!

2. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I have done a ton of searching and can't find an answer.

And I want to stop anyone from saying it...... I want an amp gauge not a voltmeter.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This particular one has a factory shunt on the back. I had not seen one like it. (with the shunt) I used it just as I found it with no problems. I believe it it requires a shunt it will be already mounted on the gauge. My buddy that gave it to me said that it was a heavy duty one. The large logo puts it in the 50s and my buddy has owned it since the early 60s but it has the 60 amp scale. I'd prefer a 30 amp scale but freebies are goodbies.:D

4. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

If it looks like this one it is the same as mine. I used a SW 280EA sender that I got on eBay.

Attached Files:

5. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

I have never seen a 2 1/16 ammeter with an internal shunt. We service all full flow ammeters prior to installation, shunted or not. The shunt is engineered for the application but really, any form of shunt will produce the desired effect. Just base its size as you would power feed wire size and calibrate using the inverse relation of that size.

Known 10 amps => gauge reads low => reduce shunt size or vice-versa: known 10 amps => gauge reads high => increase shunt size.

Most of the full flow ammeters do not need a shunt as you will hardly ever be putting the maximum amperage through them, but we're the type that service the interior of the movement so, for others it might be good insurance.