Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stewart Warner expert help wanted --

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34andy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

I picked up this old oil pressure gauge at a garage sale today. I believe it is a Stewart Warner based on the 2 5/8" diameter, curved glass & moon needle.

However, there is no name or part number anywhere. Can someone confirm that it is a SW gauge?

Finally, any idea about what application this 75 lb gauge was originally fit?
    I've seen 100 lb & 150 lb oil pressure gauges, but haven't seen any 75 lb.

Thanks,
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Hmm...judging by the needle that's a moto-meter gauge...a competitor of stewart warner in the 30's and 40's. The 2 5/8s size could mean it came out of an auburn or studebaker circa 1932ish. Heres a photo of the same gauge in an Auburn panel in Bruce Donelans Roadster. Johnny

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. 75 psi would be about any stock application. Newer gauges are 80 psi a good portion of the time. I can't imagine what would come woth a 150 psi oil pressure gauge. You start washing the babbit off the bearings at 115.

I think Floorboardinit gave you a good asnwer on brand. S/W was or is pretty pround of their stuff and it would have the brand on it somewhere if it came from them as a rule.

4. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

Floorboardinit is correct, that is a Motometer gauge. They were "out competed" in the early thirties by Stewart Warner and folded later on. To porknbeaner's point, over 100 psi would definitely be an industrial or military application. You want a gauge which reflects your operating pressure at the mid point of the gauge sweep. If you want the motometer checked out/restored/etc. visit morrisgauge.com.