Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stewart Warner electronic tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hallrods, May 24, 2014.

1. hallrods

hallrods

I have the new Stewart Warner wing gauges my electronic tach needle bounces around. Has anyone had this problem? I have painless wiring and a msd ready to run distributer

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine does the same thing. Been told I should wrap the signal wire in aluminum tape to shield it from the plug wires and any other powered wire nearby. Haven't done it yet though.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. hallrods

hallrods

Thanks I'll try it.

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Good info. I have a similar issue with an old SW tach. The needle waives back and forth when the accessories are powered, when the engine is running it stops though.

Posted traditionally using tin cans and a string.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I went through three that did that before i gave up. It sits on the self now.

6. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Use Shielded wires to the tach. What type of ignition and cables do you have?

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

7. hallrods

hallrods

I have have the msd ready to run electronic distributor ignition and I'm not sure about the cables

8. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

If you have the MSD Ready to Run, I asume that you have modern type of sparkeplug cables? If so, those cables should not make any problem that causes the Tach to bounce. Is the tach near to the distributor itself? Lots of vibrations could cause it to bounce. I would also check all the connections to the tach. I have a new type of SW elec. tach, solid copper spark plug cables with no problem. If the problem are related to noise, you could also try to hook up a noise filter that you could find at older auto radio harnesses.

/K

9. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

If it's an old tach, shouldn't it work with old cables?

Posted traditionally using tin cans and a string.

10. I'd. Contact Sw and painless.
    I used both in my last build , they both worked fine. Sounds like a wiring problem.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Been dealing with a similar problem with my SW curved glass winged tach for years. I find if I rotate the cylinder selector switch on the rear of the tach around and then back to the 8 position some times the needle actually follows the engine RPM. BUT when its acting up as in climbing well above where it should be I slap the side of the tach housing some times that helps. But since its made in Mexico what can we expect for quality?

12. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

sorry to hear that others have had similar problems with s. w. junk. only took me 2 years and $85 in long distance calls to finally get one that worked. lasted a few months and the needle fell off. finally pried the glass off and fixed it myself after the warranty replacement was no good. Stewart Warner gauges are actually made by a company called maxima technologies in pa. they are assembled in mexico. Maxima has no knowledge of the concept of quality control or customer service.

13. hallrods

hallrods

well the wres are Taylor and checked the wiring again and it's wired correct so I'll try rotating the cylinder selector around to see if that helps. looks like I'll be calling about my tach. Thanks guys.