Register now to get rid of these ads!

steve mangantes rampage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milltownrodz, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Jack Sharkey's Factory/Experimental Rampage Dart from the M/P thread

Attached Files:

2. Steve ABSOLUTELY makes the Barret Jackson worth watching! I've been enjoying his stuff in Hot Rod and other venues for years.

Detail is a HUGE part of hot rodding!

JG

3. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

Seems like a cool guy....:cool:

4. Thanks Pro

5. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I've said it before and I'll say it again.......the Wilshire Shaker is my favorite magazine project car of all time! I've got his "How To Build An Altered Wheelbase Funny Car" DVD and just enjoyed the hell out of it. From his writing and his personality on TV and the DVD, you can just FEEL his passion for this A/FX stuff. He's not in it for the money, you can just tell. I'll tell 'ya....I've never met the man (I've always wanted to), but when Hot Wheels recently released a version of his Wilshire Shaker in their Drag Strip Demons series, he had to be absolutely STOKED! Good for him!

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

7. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Loved Steve's "Junkyard Crawl". Growing up in southeastern Mass. I used to haunt the local yards looking for a fixable on the cheap. Closest I got was a 67 Shelby 350 GT, but that's another story. It was great to see some yards still existed in western Mass. with some old stuff still there.

8. Wonder what the royalty from Mattel is on a Hot Wheels car ? I suspect most of us would let them use our car for FREE.

9. I don't think the toy company gives you anything more than a box of the finished product

10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I don't think he even got that? Heck- I've yet to get one, and I worked on the car!

[​IMG]

You guys on the East coast better start loading your altered guns. I'll have a picture tomorrow of a line up that I'm sure will make some mouth's water.
    Dale

11. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

I saw a link up above; but no real words to what it was.
    Teddisnoke has a link to the funny car farm; on the site is a Steve Magnante DVD on the creation of a few match bash cars and ideas. He also goes through some of the history; and looks at detailed pictures. In the DVD the dodge from above (I believe) is created from a stocker. If you have not had a chance to see it; it is worth the 20 or so bucks; in my opinion anyhow.

12. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always been a fan of his and all that knowledge that he's able to retain and recall in a moments notice.Its cool to see him here in Ma. and the HAMB.

13. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Steve seems like a cool guy. Can some one get him to bring the Shaker to Beaver Springs on July 10???? I have a willys that would just love to line up against him and have at it!!!!! Plus a bunch of other Gasser guys that would love it also.

Attached Files:

14. Agreed. It's the best way to spend a Saturday afternoon... at work.;)

JK

15. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I've always been a fan of Steve's, and I too am looking forward to his book. He really makes Barrett Jackson auctions for me!

16. Tuske427

Tuske427

Every licensing deal is different, and there's more involved than just the owner of the car's permission. For example, each vehicle manufacturer has its own requirements, royalties, guarantees, turn around time for approvals, etc. It gets more complicated when multiple approvals are needed for the same car such as an owner of a race car and the manufacturer who made it, not to mention any name brand products featured on the car (speed parts, graphics, etc) So even if Mattel/ whoever had permission from a race car owner, they'd still need a licensing deal from the manufacturer to replicate the car.

In certain cases, the parent company covers the smaller third party companies. One example: NASCAR. If you have their license it covers most of the smaller companies/ graphics on a car. You still need to get the vehicle manufacturer license, but, things like edelbrock, good year, etc are generally covered. Then, of course, if you want the drivers, they are a separate license on top of that.

Getting things like cases of production cars, etc are usually negotiated in the licensing deal.

I've been designing toys (mostly vehicle related) for 14 years, which is how I know this...

Now, back to the subject of this thread- I had the opportunity to talk with Steve a couple of times (mostly at Fuddruckers in Pasedena) and yes, great guy. I can hold my own with car knowledge but he just humbles me. I too love hearing him talk and can listen all day. I wonder if he still has his Pinto and brought it back east.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  17. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

So... I guess this car is "Radio Delete" At least its not a resto-mod. Steve Mangante seems like he knows his shit. You gotta have balls to wear black Horn Rims.

18. Great explanation. I often thought that it was some sort of licensing issue holding up diecast AWB MoPars.

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

[​IMG]
    Steve's is a '63 post.
    [​IMG]
    The one I built for myself, is, or was, a '64 GT Coupe.

20. 100PercentKulture

100PercentKulture
    BANNED

Thats cool stuff. I'm finally here!

Attached Files:

21. Welcome aboard!

22. Welcome to the jungle...........Steve is that you????

23. S.F.

S.F.

Steve Mangante is my ital ever since he stood on the roof of a chevet with a caddy 500 in it holding a plunger. What a maniac! And The wilshire shaker is one of my all time favorite cars.