Register now to get rid of these ads!

stereos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rafael, Jan 24, 2008.

1. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

Fellas, For those of you that dont want to hack up your OG dash what do you do for tunes?
    i have a 65 wagon that the dash is beautiful and a newstyle radio would look stoopid in it, and one of them rebuilt 300.00 fm stereos dont fit. im thinking of a in glovebo stereo, what did you all do?
    Raf

2. Custom Auto Sound makes a "hidden stereo" that uses the factory unit as a reciever, but gives you AM/FM/CD.

3. iPod

do a search, this has been covered many times here...

4. bottom feeder

bottom feeder

I hid everything. The unit itself is behind the original speaker grill but you rarely need to access it so you could put it under the seat or wherever. I hate to fill up the glove box as my car does not have enough storage for toothpicks and gum as it is. I paid a car stereo guy to canabalize the remote control for the stereo and make it work off of the original buttons to my car radio. I realize this may not be an option for everyone but it keeps your dash intact.
    Dan

5. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

50 ford i know ipod is an option but all i gots is AM, im talking about what bottom feeder and heap is talkin about, a full hidden unit and where?
    ipod requires a FM transmission. AM transmitter can be built but cmon who the hell wants the crappy reception from AM transmission.

6. Terry

Terry

I got a FM - 8 track off the bay, works good.

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I still have the original wonderbar AM radio in my Nomad. Once the tubes warm up, it works fine. Most of the time I'd rather listen to the exhaust pipes making music!

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

9. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

damn langy thats pretty pimp! i wish i had that much room in the ranfla for it thou....
    good job!

10. Hide an amp and wire to existing speakers, run a headphone jack to the glovebox, throw ya an MP3 player in there and live happily ever after.

11. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

thats what im thinking lindros, along with one of them line boosters.

12. rafael,

this is what I was talking about. an iPod, amp and speakers. No inline booster needed. PM me if you want the details. All my speakers are hidden, the amp is in the trunk, and I have a cord for the iPod that comes up from under my front seat. Anyone that was walking by my car would never know there was any stereo inside unless I had it turned on.

13. mattrod68

mattrod68

plus 3 on the ipod to amp to speakers deal. i did it in my newport . all there is showing is a cord coming up under the front seat. good way to spend 150 bucks

matt

14. Ya man, I've been this for years before mp3 ever hit the market using Walkmans. You need a remote switch to turn on the amp. Just a small toggle, no relay switch necessary.

I just ordered one of these:

http://www.polyplanar.com/productSingle.aspx?prt=MZ-100

It's a zone amp for boats. My Ranchero leaks when it rains. And since it's a zone amp, it has it's own on/off switch and volume control. They also have an MP3 kit but uses a much small amp.

15. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Get a record player instead
    [​IMG]

16. Most major brands make head units with infra red remotes. Put one in the glove box, add an IR extender (available from just about any specialty stereo shop) hide some speakers and you have it all. The IR extender is basically a repeater. Place the "receiver" end anywhere you can point the remote, and the emitter in the glove box. Most controls without opening the box!Works great! We have done this on several customer's cars recently.

This is the one we use:
    http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/INFRARED_REMOTE_EXTENDER_REPEATER_IRX_REMOTE_RECEIVER_p_1780.html

17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

A friend of mine has a cool product for adding tunes to an old car: http://www.rediscoveradio.com/ It plugs inline with the antenna to your existing AM radio and allows you to plug in an iPod or other music source without any modifications.

If your existing radio still sounds good and you're not worried about having stereo it's a neat way to go.