Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stereo gurus I need some advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Feb 17, 2013.

1. OK, I will be the first to say I know nothing about audio equipment. I want to put a streo in my car. I have nothing in it right now. I am going to put a dual voive speaker in the dash and may eventually put to in the rear. I just want to use a IPOD. I am not into crazy sound quality. I just want to be able to drive around with the windows down and hear the music. Here are the 2 choices I have narrowed it down to.

http://www.kicker.com/pxi502

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ywv2P7...MU110-Digital-Link-Sound-System.html?tp=49859

The one from Kicker is more money which I don't mind speding if it is that much better and isn't ovekill for what I want. Can someone look at the specs at both and give me some advice.
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. raidmagic

raidmagic

If sound quaility isn't an issue then go with the cheaper one. Both will play music with no problem. You can also hit Wal-Mart and buy a cheapy radio that has an input in front that you can plug a 3.5mm wire into and you won't be restricted to iPod/IPhone you can plug anything into it that has a headphone jack. If you don't want it seen just mount it under the seat and run the wire up between the seats then you control everything right from your device

3. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

The Sony looks fine - hell, it was originally $250, which was more than the Kicker! Seems like a heck of a deal.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'd get with the 4 channel one... that'll make the sound better in the car and give you more control over fade and balance.

I would scoop one up if they fit iphone 5!!! :(

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

5. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

6. Ralph

Ralph

I kinda like the Sony. Wireless remote, and a suction mount dock. The kicker is wired remote, no dock, and slightly less powerful. Also, the Sony's $50 to the Kickers $200. Easy choice for me!
    Ralph

7. XXL__

XXL__

On quick glance, neither of the items you've linked in your OP appear to be what you think they are. They aren't "stereos," they are add-on devices to allow you to interface an iPod into your EXISTING stereo.

Also, since you're willing to put a single dual voice coil speaker in the dash, you're already giving up real stereo capability (ie, left and right presence), so I'm guessing you're not overly concerned about accurate reproduction of sound... as you say, you just want to hear music with the windows down. If true, go with raidmagic's suggestion... just buy a basic AM/FM/CD/Whatever, and make sure it has 3.5mm audio jack on the front. Then you can plug in any other source you could possibly want, and you have whatever bands come with the unit itself (AM/FM/CD/Whatever).

/2 cents

8. dmac620

dmac620

You can get the Sony and the dual voice speaker for cheaper than the Kicker unit. That's exactly what I did in a very "familiar-to-you" Chevy and I love it.

9. dmac620

dmac620

I only have the listed OP Sony unit, no other existing stereo. The Sony unit wires the docking cradle to the speakers. It can be used as a stand-alone unit.

10. So it's decent sound quality? Like I said as long as is sounds "good" it is fine with me.
    Todd

11. dmac620

dmac620

I put a "retrosound" dual voice speaker In yesterday and it sounds good now. If you are only going to do the center speaker in the dash, I highly recommend the dual voice speaker.

12. Ok. I just ordered the Sony unit from Crutchfield. Now, what Ipod should I get? Nano? I told you I know nothing about this stuff. I am going to have to get my kids to show me how to download songs on it.
    Todd

13. dmac620

dmac620

I am not sure if the nano would work for this application. It is very small and would not be "locked" in the cradle of the Sony unit. I use an iPod touch and my iPhone without any problems.

14. Looks like I will get a touch. How many GB do I need just to store and play music?
    Thanks,
    Todd

15. flynfrog

flynfrog

I think the sony will let you play music but only from the Ipod. There is no tuner. I think Ryan did a how to you really dont need this unit just a cheap amp and some speakers will do the same thing.

16. zep058

zep058

XXL__ is correct these are not stereo systems...they are designed to patch into an existing system to add an i device.

as per the website You tap into the speaker wiring of your factory system

You will still need a power amp or head unit system with speakers in addition to this especially as you said you have absolutely nothing right now.

There a two ways to do this, buy a headunit and speakers or search Ryans iPod in a hotrod thread, which uses a power amp only and a small box to adjust volume and connect the iPod directly to the power amp.

***Edit!
    Sorry just read the kicker details and it does indeed have a 50w amp but it is (25w RMS x 2 at 2 Ohms) but I dont think you will get sound quality with windows down an maybe an extra exhaust noise on car speakers

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  17. dirti629

dirti629
    from MA

I can not be sure on the sony unit but i am very familer with the kicker, it is def not an add on it is a stand alone unit that will work with all iPods as well as iPhones even the 5 with adapter it is a 100 watt amp as well with 2 channels. The remote is wired but comes with multiple mounting options and is lighted. I build custom bikes and have used many of these units as well as others and you can't beat the sound and quality of kicker.