Register now to get rid of these ads!

stepside taillight Ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by halfcockedcustoms, Sep 21, 2009.

1. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

I was looking for ideas on custom taillights on stepside beds,,,did a search and didnt really find much,,,so post your pics guys,,lookin for something better then the trailer lights,,,Thanks

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You didn't say what make you have but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Mounted up near/under the bed lip:
    37 Ford Passenger Car
    39 Chevrolet Passenger Car

Mounted in panel below tailgate:
    41-48 Chevy Passenger Car
    42-48 Ford Passenger Car

3. 39 Ford in the fenders.

4. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

anymore ideas,,tryin to find Ideas for my 64 chev

5. buffalotrux

buffalotrux

'47 Ford tail lights in the rear cross sill look cool.
    Buffalotrux
    Keepin' em inline since '53

6. How about something like these? Run'em like the last picture. They have mounting brackets that go under the fenders. They are heavy as hell solid pot metal off a 37-8 Pontiac. I'll sell to you if you want them, I'm probably never going to use them.

Attached Files:

7. houston54

houston54

On the 54 I am using a sheetmetal plate to mount the stock style taillights and the Norlipp backup lights together. The plate bolts to the stock holes in the stake pocket used to secure the stock style bracket.

The 58 came with this arrangement which appears to be early Impala lenses or similar.

Attached Files:

8. hepcat_13

hepcat_13

I'm almost at that point myself and have yet to find anything I really like. They always seem to look like a after thought.

9. tomcat46

tomcat46

VW type III tail lights on my '65 F100. At least it keeps people guessing;).
    I've lowered it a few inches since this pic and steel wheels are in the powdercoat booth today. Should be a huge change from the aluminum wheels and 4x4 stance.

[​IMG]

10. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

guess it depends what look youre shooting for. but please. NO TRAILER LIGHTS. something cheap from here, ebay or the local swap! the tail lights are just ones you find(makes for a good story too) good luck

11. buickbelle

buickbelle

Before ya get too far, you may want to check out the styles available in LED. A friends of ours put LEDs on his Lil Red. Mike really liked them and went down to see what all was available. What he came up with is oval shaped lights set in the stock rectangular tail light housing. Looks pretty darn kool folowing it down the road at night. Now when he applies the brakes? You will need a set of sunglasses, they are THAT bright. LOL

Carrie

12. I'm gonna put a set of 49 Plymouth tail lights on my 53 Dodge truck, but will probably use 49 - 53 Chev rear fenders on it for the slope needed to make them look right.

13. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

38 dodge truck or 49 through 51 ford

Attached Files:

15. In a panel under the tailgate:

'55 Dodge (single, double or even triple)
    '52 Buick
    '53-4 Buick
    '59 Pontiac (Catalina or Bonneville)
    '60 Pontiac
    '61 Pontiac
    '58 Chevy (Delray or Impala, or even wagon singles)
    '60 Chevy, cut the whole panel out and narrow it to fit
    '61 Chevy, turn them upside down and angle the panel in at the bottom
    '49-'51 Ford
    '60-61 Comet

On bed sides:

Chrysler Imperial, most any year '55-'63
    '37 Ford
    '39 Chevy
    '38 Oldsmobile

Also, Yankee made a sort of a knockoff of the '55 Imperial with a small bullet in it, they used the base and head with a mirror on it too, you could have the whole works matching up if you wanted.

edit: I finally took a picture of the Yankee taillights. Funky little things. The mirror version is in my '66 Yankee catalog but not the taillight version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  16. sir

sir

we took the rear bumper off a1978 el camono and cut it down to fit the rear of a 1966 C-10 and didn't have to put them on the fenders because the lights are all ready in the bumper so we got a cool looking bumper and stop/tail light all in one shot.....

17. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

'59 impala

Attached Files:

18. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Was it 51 ford tailights that are in the windsplits or 50?the little car craft books had an article on putting them in bottom of the rear fenders on a 56 ford pu.had i saw it sooner i would probably have done the same.now my exhaust runs through em so no dice.but it would look sweet none the less.the ones im talking about sit on the bezels wich go partially around the outside of the fender.

19. oldskew

oldskew
    from idaho

i have three leds look close at the one in the rear of the cab
    [​IMG]

20. I think I saw it on here, but I have seen people use '49 Merc taillamps on a step side and it looked great.

21. DrJ

DrJ

Was just going to say that, they look good on Ford trucks.

A '49 Buick light and housing might work on a '55-'66 Chevy step side but it'd have to be set into the fender someway, maybe sideways even?