Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Step one of a long process....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in2hotrodz, Dec 4, 2016.

1. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

I rarely post anything, but got around to finishing the very first part of my 37 Chevy truck project and thought I'd share a little bit. Decided to start out small so if it turned out the way I hoped it would give me motivation to get going on the rest of it. Been gathering parts for well over 3 years now but seem to be stuck on the time-or-money thing, plenty of one but not the other, and neither at the same time. Also got some mock-up shots of the truck as far as how it's going to sit. The engine will be painted the same as the dash with chrome and polished aluminum bolt-ons, its a Pontiac 400 with dual quads and should make around 400 or so horsepower, should be a looker when done. The rest of the truck will be a mix of gloss and satin black. Thinking of doing the firewall in a eggshell or cream color to contrast with the rest of the truck. It's kind of hard to see but the bed will be shortened up to where the tape measure is resting on the rail, around 50 or so inches. Just click on a pic to get a better view of it. Criticism and suggestions are encouraged and thanks for looking.

20161116_174051.jpg 20161116_174108.jpg 20161118_203816.jpg 20161118_203829.jpg 20160917_232149.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    DFH-GMC, Sinister, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Fantastic color!

3. davidh73750

davidh73750

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. Ron Funkhouser likes this.

5. loudbang

loudbang

Car exterior should be that color leave the satin for the interior.

6. Nice job so far. That Gold is killer!

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like what you are doing/planning and it is a great shade of Gold.

One suggestion....in your mockup of cab/bed.....I think the cab is a bit too low for the bed position, possibly raising the cab a bit to have the bottom of the cab belt line even with the top of the bed rail instead of at the bottom. Not sure if that would satisfy my eye without actually seeing the result, but that is what came to mind.

In any case, you have a great start on your project.

Ray

8. KOOL HOT ROD. I like the Bobber look. My little brother built a 37 a few years ago. I'm glad your doing it right. I too like the Gold. And you can never go wrong with gray 20160108_133837_001.jpg spokes. I think pearl white roll and pleat looks so good with Gold. But I Think white goes with everything. lol Keep us posted on your build. Like my brother, so many are tempted to do the rr paint theme. I never took a picture of his truck, but I did do a sketch for him. It had a 413, dropped axel, chopped, slicks, and push button drive. It just needed the Kandy Gold and white. And the chopped top looked cool, but made it very hard to get in and drive. That's why he sold it. Like Ray says, Every inch in a pickup cab counts.{A Great Start!}
    Ron...

jnaki and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

That gold sure looks nice, look forward to more updates. Bob

10. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

Can someone tell me what the 3 small holes in the center of the dash were used for? I assume one would be for the carb choke cable but the other two I have no idea.

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

$_1.JPG
    Just a wild guess...

loudbang likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Great colour choice; brand and code? I have to at I am really impressed with your painting skills as that dash doesn't need and colour sanding or polishing in my opinion.

13. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

Thanks. It's Inca Gold metallic pearl, single stage urethane from a local Sherwin Williams supply store. While it looks great in photos I'm not real happy with it. It has a little bit of dust in there plus one small critter that showed up in the last coat. I'm most likely gonna scuff it up and re-shoot it, I still have the glove box door to shoot also. I fumbled the door while wiping it down with the tack rag and it fell and landed right on a corner. I about went Tasmanian Devil in the garage.

loudbang likes this.