Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering wheel shake in my chev......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noclubjoe, May 8, 2012.

1. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

ok guys lets hear your thoughts, on the way to and from torque fest my 38 chevy had alittle back and forth shake in the steering wheel around 70-75mph. Tonight i changed front tires and wheels and took it out for a ride, the wheel shake is still there but not as bad with the different tires and wheels on the front end. i did not change the rears.... i know that the left rear wheel has a slight wobble to it, do you think that this in any way could transfer to the steering wheel? Everything in the front end is brand new and tight, its a Mustang II with a manual rack. The tires are brand new as of late last summer and were balanced at time of mounting. what do u guys think?

2. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

really guys nobody has any input on this?

3. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

You need to install a set of known good wheels and tires before making any assumptions.

4. fordor41

fordor41

Try a rebalance. It's been a year. maybe lost a weight. I see no reason a problem with the front wheels/suspension would NOT transfer to the steering wheel.

5. nali

nali

My advice would also be to check balance.

6. Change out that rear tire to a good one without the wobble and see what happens.

7. maybe your really cold when you drive and you are shivering?

8. fms427

fms427

Tire balance usually shows itself in the 70mph range. But could also be bent wheel(s), or wheels not mounting flat or concentric on hub ( does your wheel pilot on the hub, or do you depend on the bolts to center the wheel ?). I would not suspect rear issues to be felt in the wheel, but anythings possible. Usually felt in the butt.......

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

DYNABEADS
    Worked for me.

10. olderone

olderone

If It Was Me I Would Be For looking At The King Pins (Ball Joints?) Pitman Arm Tie Rod Ends As Well As Slack In The Steering Column And Idler Arm. Good Luck

11. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

this was the plan for tonight, didnt get a chance to drive the car though. ill update tomorrow.
    this is what i thought too that it would be felt in the ass end. as far as the wheels... yes they mount on the concentric hub, they are just plain old chevy steel wheels.

as stated in my first post.......everything is new, i installed it and checked everything over again when i came back from the trip. Pitman arm and Idler arm are N/A in this case.....its a mustang II front end, it has rack and pinion steering.

12. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

When you replaced all the front end parts did you get it aligned?
    Toe in or out couls cause this too

13. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

yes the front end has been aligned.

14. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

so i changed out the rear tires and wheels last night and took it out for a ride tonight, shake is gone! i guess the slight wobble in the left rear did tranfer to the front making the wheel shake back and forth? who knows? I think that iam going to be buying some O.E. bare steel wheels and painting them nice and stop fucking around with old junk i had in the garage.

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Tires are shit anymore. I would trust my old steel wheels over almost any tire made today. Just my 2c