Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Wheel Resto Job Finished

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, May 16, 2011.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

wheelA.jpg wheelB.jpg wheelC.jpg wheelD.jpg wheelE.jpg wheelF.jpg wheelG.jpg wheelH.jpg wheelI.jpg wheelJ.jpg wheelK.jpg wheelL.jpg wheelM.jpg wheelO.jpg wheelN.jpg wheelA.jpg wheelB.jpg wheelC.jpg wheelD.jpg wheelE.jpg wheelF.jpg wheelG.jpg wheelH.jpg wheelI.jpg wheelJ.jpg wheelK.jpg wheelL.jpg wheelM.jpg wheelO.jpg wheelN.jpg We start with the '41 Pontiac wheel needing just the outer ring restored as the rest is in pretty good shape. We have 3 options, send out to a pro shop if you can afford the $1000 to $1400 price tag or "V" cut all the cracks, fill and sand sand sand sand forever OR replace just the outer ring with a new or better one.
    I chose to replace the outer ring but first had to find a donor which turned out to be a 1956 Chevy wheel as it best matched the spoke location and size I wanted.
    So off with the '41 outer ring and off with the center of the '56 wheel, now to marry the two together. Inside every wheel is a round steel ring, this is what we will weld the 3 Pontiac spokes to after clean up. Weld up, fill up and sand to shape. I use MarineTex for filler as it blends well and sand the same as the outer ring material. If you wet your finger you can spread the Marine Tex around to shape and save much sanding.
    Next is epoxy high build primer as many coats as it takes to make you happy!
    After high builds comes the base coat clear coat of your choice & color.
    Hopefully pic's will explain it better.
    This wheel will be heading to The Oz Rat in Australia, here's the build of his '32!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389127

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    heavydumper, kidcampbell71 and fnjunk like this.
  2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

WOW! Pretty sweet work. That shot of the black wheel surprised me even though I knew it was coming. Excellent!

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

That was clever and resourceful - everything a HAMBer should be. Nice one!
    (One more tip filed way in my mental vault. Thanks)

4. swissmike

swissmike

Excellent work and great idea- Beautiful wheel!

5. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Glad you saved it. Thats a good looking wheel!

6. whid

whid

damn.....thats nice..good job.....whid

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

wheelP.jpg wheelR.jpg It's not a total resto as the stainless will still need clean up and the center paint trim work will be left up to OZ Rat Jim. He will be able to detail and trim out to complement the rest of his build.................

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Beautiful work.

9. Squablow

Squablow

I did the same thing with a DeSoto steering wheel once, and I also used a '56 Chevy steering wheel as a ring donor. Works out nice, sometimes there just isn't enough left of the outside ring of a wheel to patch it up.

10. Mercchev

Mercchev

Nice work...What a great idea.

11. Hey Brigrat that was my old steering wheel I sold you..NICE JOB on it..your an expert!!

12. Black Primer

Black Primer

Nice job! Sure is a great looking wheel, nothing like the "stylish" air-bag containers we have today :rolleyes:.

13. Now that's a beautiful wheel! One of a kind!

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Got another one?

15. mgh13

mgh13

Very cool! Thanks for the inspiration.

16. sololobo

sololobo

One of the slickest tech type posts ever, very impressive and creative work. Nice application of two wheels and reducing diameter at the same time. I am tu-toning my 59 Ford wheel soon, hope it comes out as nice as your job. Thanx so much. ~sololobo~

17. Gee I just sold one last week on the HAMB...I bought the one below on the Bay...got it for $89..I'm going to do something like you did..it's a little large in diameter...I'm going to see how it looks once I get the column in..I was told it was a Chevy 36 wheel..

Attached Files:

• 112.jpg
      112.jpg
      File size:
      24.5 KB
      Views:
  18. silverfalcon

silverfalcon
    from california

I just finished the same restoration on my 51 vicky wheel and it turned out pretty nice..not that hard really just a lot patience and hard work.. Your's turned out very nice..good job

19. Squablow

Squablow

I've got a '40ish Buick one if someone wants to take a whack at it, I don't see myself using it.

20. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I saw this Wheel advertised on the Hamb by Brigat (Lon) and I knew I just had to have. Never did I think it would have turned out as nice as it did. Looking forward to receiving it now & making it fit on my Steering Shaft.

I may look at painting the centre piece in the Dash color, but that will be determined much later on.

Thanks so much for your great work Lon..... you are the master of improvisation.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  21. Just goes to show you, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Looks good.

22. Excellent job! Timely, too, since I am planning on reducing the diameter on one of my steering wheels and was wondering how I would go about it. Thanks for saving my tail! :D

23. Normbc9

Normbc9

Thanks for sharing with us! Beautiful work too. This is what anyone can do if they purchase a steering wheel rebuild kit. All it takes is time, a few basic tools and patience. Those kits are available from many restoration parts vendors.
    Normbc9

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

nice. i would rock it as is w/out anymore buffin/paintin.
    This tech will come in handy im sure.

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Excellent idea and execution. Please keep us posted as to how it wears and if the marinetex holds without cracking.

26. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

It arrived today... all the way from Washington State to Melbourne, Australia.

It really looks so much better up close, the repair is seemless. The pictures do not do the workmanship justice.

Now the long wait to get it on the Deuce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Nice work...super sano....now detail the centre emblem man !!

Get to it !!

Rat

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

29. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

What are you guys using for epoxy? and what kind of paint are you using over the old rubber???

30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

From the first post "I use MarineTex for filler as it blends well and sand the same as the outer ring material. If you wet your finger you can spread the Marine Tex around to shape and save much sanding.
    Next is epoxy high build primer as many coats as it takes to make you happy!
    After high builds comes the base coat clear coat of your choice & color."

Others have there own favorite fillers that may or may not work as well....................