Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigds54, Jun 16, 2009.

1. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

got a 54 chevy, already removed the horn button and the center nut what else do i need to remove the steering wheel??? i tried searching all i could find was for a buick and iit said i needed a puller???

2. red3

red3

A steering wheel puller will make life very easy. there cheap at any auto parts store.

3. Between $10 and $20 at any parts store...

4. The $6 on sale pulley puller set from Harbor Frieght works better than the cheap steering wheel pullers on GM wheels. Most of the parts store steering wheel pullers the spacing is a little off for the bolt holes in the wheel. After I got the pulley puller set I threw the other one in my flea market junk.

5. i'm too cheap to spend the $10-$20 , or even the $6 for a cheap one....so i just made my own

[​IMG]

6. cJared3b

cJared3b

If you junkin you old wheel, you could just bang on it with a hammer and maybe itll pop off. Helps to have someone pulling on it when your hitting it, but it might break free and hit them in the face.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There sholud be two threaded holes in the top of the steering wheel hub on each side of of the shaft.
    Most steerng wheel pullers will look something like the one in this add http://www.carparts.com/STEERING-WHEEL-PULLER/GP_2007938_N__10618.car
    Available at most any parts store or Sears or other places that sell automotive tools.

Use of the tool is pretty self explainatory

8. I think for all the bolts and adapters that come in the $6 set at HF you couldn't buy the bolts in bulk any cheaper. Yeah, it's made in China crap and all, but if you don't buy it someone else will anyways.

9. cJared3b

cJared3b

Hey, there you go. That could prevent a broken nose.

10. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

ok thanks guys, running to the local parts store and picking up a puller, and just to clarify, all that needs to be off is that center nut right? i'll try to take a pic and show you what im lookiong at, but i think im just overthinking again. i hate that. lol

11. Center nut off, use the holes in the wheel on each side, puller should come with bolts that thread into them. Make sure they go in several turns. Crank the center bolt slowly and it should pop loose once it gets tight and puts some pressure on it.

12. NO! leave the center nut on! just have it loose..read post # 7

13. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Musta been a gearhead who designed this......

Attached Files:

14. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

ok puller was $9, got it off thanks guys, anyone know where i can get the kidney shaped switch for the turn signals