Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering wheel rebuild questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DOUBLEZO, Sep 16, 2007.

1. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

So I finally find me a crestliner wheel. Get it and notice that, 1. the splines are gone and 2. somebody cut some of the back off of it, and 3. its a little ruffer than i thought it was. My question is can it somehow be re-splined? What can i use to rebuild the parts that were cut off? The black wheel is supposed to look like the white wheel. If you look in the last pic you can see the crack, did a search and figured out how to take care of that. How can i fix the sun damaged brittle areas? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dumprat

dumprat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from b.c.

Ditch the spline get it machined to a taper and key it. use epoxy to fix the crack. Maybe try high build primer to fix the weathered part.

3. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

any other suggestions out there in hamb land?

4. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I have a black Crestliner wheel that's pretty weathered, and I'm just going to have to sand on it. I'm not sure how else to begin; maybe start with 150 grit. (I still have to talk to some people first, about that.) Then, epoxy for the cracks. Some people say the Eastwood Company sells good epoxy for steering wheel fixes. And yeah, as far as de-weathering it, I wouldn't think you could go wrong with a little high-build primer. Prime, sand and repeat.
    As far as the spline, sorry; can't help you on that.
    Good luck to you! Sucks that someone cut the back off it

5. www.kochssteeringwheels.com

Bob koch has done a couple wheels for me,, they have always come out looking nicer than the rest of the car.

6. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

THE BACK IS NOT CUT OFF! It's a different year. 50 and 51 were different from each other.

7. F&J

F&J

I'm working on a 41 chevy wheel that came from the desert and it's dry. I carved out the cracks a little with a hacksaw blade and then scuffed off the dry outer layer surface with sandpaper. Then I used clear fiberglass resin to paint the whole thing. I just started sanding the thick coat of resin and it looks pretty good so far. I hope that will seal it and then use filler & highbuild over what's left of the cracks.

Another one that had just fine cracks; I tried just heavy enamel primer thinking it would not crack like hard primer, but it did recrack after a year or so of daily use.

8. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

your kidding me right? i always thought these wheels were for 49's (option) and 50 crestliners.

9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

early 51 had a crestliner also. It was replaced early in the year by the Victoria.

10. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

right on automotive stud. i learned something today. thanks everbody for your input.

11. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Just a pic...

Attached Files:

12. Crestliner

Crestliner

Stud is correct on the wheel year.

13. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

were the 51 steering wheels splined or keyed?

14. usmile4

usmile4

I restored my steering wheel using the method described here:

Restore your steering wheel

It went pretty easy and looks much better than when it started.

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

I haven't used it yet on a steering wheel, but PC-7 was recommended for that here on another thread. It mixes easily and is slightly thicker than peanut butter. It cures reasonably fast, sands easily and is fairly cheap (I got mine at a True Value, but ACE carries it too). I stuck some Bakelite trim back together with it, holding good so far. I bought the small cans, and I still have over 1/2 left. I would expect you would have tor V the cracks out (the smaller ones) to get any of the epoxies mentioned to stick.

16. Chad s

Chad s

DO not use that POR-15 wheel repair putty, it will shrink over time, mine did. its minor, and on a white wheel, no one can really tell, but I know its there. Use the PC-7, its a proven method that works.