Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering wheel painting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul2748, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Paul2748

Paul2748

I am going to paint the steering wheel in my 56 Ford. It doesn't need any repair, just paint. What kind of primer should I use on the plastic - is regular lacquer based primer ok or should something else be used? For cleaning everything, is lacquer thinner ok on the plastic - how about prep-sol?

Thanks for any help.

2. paul, i painted my wheel with epoxy in a spray can in 1980 and it still looks good . i didnt prime it , just cleaned the wheel real good and sprayed it. i dont know what it was made of, but the two part epoxy i used to fix the cracks stuck to it like poo on a shoe. i suppose its either plastic or hard rubber. your only problem with spray cans is color choices. mike

3. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I just painted one with a high dollar sealer/primer and base coat/clear coat. The sealer/primer was really was done because that was all that I had laying around at the time but after the fact I thought that it was prolly a good choice. The wheel turned out looking better then it looked brand new too!

Vance

4. I've posted this before..............If you have any friends working in the boat industry get them to paint it with Awlgrip..........This is used for fiberglass boats, great paint and last forever. It works great on all metals also, but it ain't cheap.

5. Dads-53

Dads-53

If you can or know some one in a shop that can get you a small amout, use a single stage urathane. Clean, sand 400 or 320, clean again and paint, use resperator, the stuff will kill you; Has to be above 60 degrees for it to dry, but will last for ever.
    Dad