Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Steering wheel ID help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hey guys,

Came across this wheel this morning and wondered if anyone could place it?

IMG_4336.JPG
    IMG_4337.JPG IMG_4338.JPG

Hope that's enough photos to figure it out, has a similar shape to a 40 ford shape but with a fatter rim than I'm used to seeing on a 40's ford wheel.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hard to see in that last photo but it has a metal stud coming about an inch out of the back, it's bent over but you can see what looks to be a sheared off one across from it as well

3. Well, I think all Fords were taper and key, so we can rule that out because of the splines. I'm thinking 40's GM, but not sure on that.

4. Could be a boat steering wheel too.

5. verde742

verde742

looks Pontiac to me..

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The horizontal grooves in the arms made me think mid 40's Chevy or GM but the fat rim makes me feel like it's newer than that

7. I did some ninja googling, and while I found no matches, the closest thing I could find were boat steering wheels, specifically ones made by Sheller.

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah. I just searched 46/7/8 for Chevy, Pontiac, Buick and Oldsmobile and none of them are correct though it does look the right era. The 47 Chevy seemed the closest in design and fiery but it's clearly wrong.

I'll take a look at the boat stuff

9. verde742

verde742

where did you find it, may offer clue....?

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang that's dang near it!

I didn't measure but it's easily 17" I'd believe it was an 18" boat wheel after looking at google searches for sheller boat steering wheels.

All the ones that looked like this design however had sheller molded into the backside, and the hubs are much smaller.

I'd say it's safe to say it's a $20 boat wheel either way ya slice it :)

Dan Hay likes this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Found it in what amounts to.... somewhere between a flea market and a pickers store. Was with some random car bumpers, grills and doors.

12. I saw some chris craft wheels that were very similar except the ribs were vertical instead of horizontal.

13. verde742

verde742

[​IMG]CAN YOU SHOW A FULL VIEW OF BACK?

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Third photo down is all I took. I did see the wheel you show, the photos of it's back show the name I referred to and the back hub is way smaller. Could be a knock off of a that sheller wheel though, they are very close!

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The shellers features are also thicker/taller than the shallow lines on the one I found