Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical steering wheel. I am thinking about having it powder coating . can I?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Thomas Marmont, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Thomas Marmont

Thomas Marmont

I have a 1948 Merc steering wheel. I am thinking about having it powder coating . but what is the wheel made out of steal ? Or made out of mental. Can I even have it powder coat?

2. No. The heat of the oven will destroy the plastic rim plus, I don't think the powder will adhere to it anyway

3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Powder is drawn to the piece thru a magnetic charge. Has to be metallic. No plastics not plastic fillers, etc. Metal only.
    SPark

4. Base coat,clear coat will hold up extremely well. HRP

5. It's entirely possible to powdercoat non-metallic items; simply pre-heat it to about 200 degrees and the powder will stick to it. Once coated, simply cure as you would any other part. The problem is very few non-metal parts can take the cure heat needed (generally around 400 degrees or more) to get proper flow-out and cure.

I use this method to apply multiple coats to get an extra-thick coating (primarily on things like battery trays), but I have seen some coaters doing late-model plastic engine parts this way. This also works well for items where you have problems getting coating into nooks and crannies. This can also work to repair a damaged or flawed coating without a complete strip; sand out the problem area, pre-heat, and recoat.

But I seriously doubt that steering wheel plastic will take the cure heat without damage.

rod1 and squirrel like this.
  6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Appliance epoxy is a durable alternative for repainting steering wheels.

WRECKER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Some stuff is definitely made of mental

williebill and flatheadpete like this.
  8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen cattle skulls coated with a chrome looking product . I was told the process is similar to powder coating. Using static charge , powder and heat. Keep searching you will find something that fits what you want.