Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Wheel / Horn Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garry Carter, May 31, 2009.

1. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

I'm running a cut-down `52 Chevy dash in my `30 Ford coupe. The ergonomics of an older column just weren't working (it was too vertical), so I bought a tilt column from ididit -- and the ergonomic problems were solved. Then I mounted a `61 Impala steering wheel and thought I'd hit a home run when I hooked up the horn button ... and everything worked!!

But that was in the shop. The first time I drove it, shit came flying apart. The little grounding plunger (from the Impala) rode on a very thin brass ring in the column that was held in place by three little mounting tabs bent over the ABS plastic innards of the column. Apparently the plunger snagged on the little brass ring as the steering wheel was turned and tore it into about 4 - 5 pieces. It's not reparable.

Any ideas on how I can make those neat little horn buttons on the `61 Impala wheel work with the ididit column? How do I go about re-doing the grounding connection for the horn? I've already fired off an e-mail to the "contact us" address on the ididit website -- and got absolutely no response. Next plan is to call them, but I thought some knowledgeable person around here might have a home remedy. Thanks.

OBTW, there's nothing wrong with the horn buttons, the wiring, the relay, etc. When everything was still intact (and stationary) the horn worked like a champ. It will still work if I make ground with the screwdriver -- and will make me jump when I'm not expecting it!

2. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

Sounds like the distance was too shallow for the stock wheel,or the self canceling ring on the wheel did all the damage

3. If it was in front of me, I could fix it. Bring it to krum!