Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Steering Wheel Fitment Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Mar 21, 2019.

1. BJR

BJR

We have all tried to put a steering wheel from one year or manufacture and put it on another year or make. What this is all about is trying to get a list of the different manufactures steering shaft diameter and spline count. Another words how many years did GM have a 7/8 diameter with 32 splines. I just pulled those numbers out of my ass, but you get the picture. If we could get a list, we would know what steering wheel would fit what cars. Think how handy this would be for swapping steering wheels. If we knew for instance that GM used the same diameter and same splines from 1950 to 1964 for instance and Chrysler used the same as GM from 1956 to 1970, we would have a data base for steering wheel swapping. The above numbers were just examples and not even close to fact. So start the posting.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I generally plan the mast (uhh, steering shaft) in advance. Just never left it 'to chance' that 1) the spline/diameter might match up;
    2) Said steering wheel will just happen to sit at the 'right height' to match up with the 'bell' at top of mast jacket (er, 'steering column')
    The unwashed come over, and say..."Wow! How'd that just happen to fit?"
    -happenstance

BJR likes this.