Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering Wheel Adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 281 mike, Sep 23, 2019.

1. 281 mike

281 mike
    from Illinois

Looking for a steering wheel adapter for Flaming River column. I have a 30” non-tilt roadster column and a Billet Specialties Banjo style wheel. I need a 9 hole 8/32 adapter to mount wheel. Billet Specialties and Flaming River don’t make one and can’t tell me who does. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Update.
    Took Billet Specialties adapter (1967-94 GM) to the machine shop this morning and took 3/16ths from the base. Fits perfectly. Thanks for all suggestions and comments.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

So, you have a BS Banjo wheel and need to fit it to a Ford style tapered shaft?

3. Ron Pellegrino

Ron Pellegrino

TRY GRANT I needed a special adaptor and they were the only one that made it

4. Ron Pellegrino

Ron Pellegrino

Try Grant I needed a special one and they were the only one that made it

5. Ron Pellegrino

Ron Pellegrino

Don't know if my reply went through but try Grant I needed a special adaptor and they were the only one that made it

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to assume that a 30 inch non tilt roadster column is aftermarket but the guys need to know if it has a spline or is tapered and keyed at the top.

7. He identified it as a Flaming river column but if he ordered something other than the late GM shaft size the options get pretty limited....

Grant makes adaptors for most everything, but theirs are all three-hole style. They do make an 'intermediate' adaptor that goes between the three-hole and the wheel but theirs seem to be five hole, not nine.

8. 281 mike

281 mike
    from Illinois

Spline

9. 281 mike

281 mike
    from Illinois

Flaming River 30” roadster column with 3/4 splined shaft.

10. 281 mike

281 mike
    from Illinois

That adapter is for GM 67-94 and will not work. Fits and lines up ok but It’s to deep. Doesn’t leave enough threads to attach properly.

11. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

12. Flaming River sells steering shafts separately, maybe a swap to a different shaft may be the answer. Be worth a phone call to find out...

13. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Can you turn some material off of the one that is too deep? or counterbore the area where the nut goes?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While hunting possible adapters this morning I saw that same comment on the Lecara 9 hole adapter on Summits site with several saying that they had to machine the adapter to make it work so I'd think that is a universal issue with that style adapter https://www.summitracing.com/oh/par...jJQ8FtLaqdCqy8MliM0Gri1G9gSwwrLhoCpg8QAvD_BwE

15. 281 mike

281 mike
    from Illinois

Thanks, I’m going to a machine shop in the morning.

16. 281 mike

281 mike
    from Illinois

Thanks, machine shop tomorrow.

17. The problem with machining the adaptor is it usually screws up horn button fitment, particularly if you want it to function...