Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering: Universal Joints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick's Speed Shop, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Slick's Speed Shop

Slick's Speed Shop

Anyone know where to look for universal joints for steering that don't cost $50 each? Looked at jeep cherokees already, but I think I will have to cut and weld those at least on the rod end. Still thinking up ideas. Any advise on cars and trucks at the junkyard to look for that use removable universal joints?

Thanks,
    Todd

2. aaggie

aaggie

You would probably spend more money digging around in junk yards looking for OEM stuff that could be adapted but do you really want to go cheap in your steering system?

Borgeson and others sell both show quality plated stuff and plain steel units priced accordingly.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Get Borgeson...the time and money you spend trying to go cheap will work out to be more expensive...and seriously, you want to mess with steering...???

R-

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

They aint that expensive..when you think about how safe they make your driving..besides you only need what? 2 of them..

law suits..well thats a whole nother deal

or go junk yard hunting

5. F&J

F&J

Take a look at those forward control van/box trucks used for bread/potato chips.

I am thinking I saw a GM one in a yard cut up, and I saw a u-joint on the steering. I do not recall if it unbolts from both ends like you want.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is not the place that you want to save a few dollars. If you could somehow sequester the potential risk of doing this to yourself, then I would not have a problem with it; however, you can't. You may be putting yourself, your passengers, and innocent bystanders in risk of peril as well.

Do this for a customer, and they have a problem, and you risk ruining the rest of your life financially, over a ±$50 part.

Life is precious.

7. Most all of the OEM stuff will have at least one end welded on. After all, they KNOW what they are going to be used for....

Look for something that has about a 3/4" round shaft. I build this stuff all the time using 3/4"X.120 wall DOM tubing. The trick is to turn down the stock shaft in a lathe, insert and TIG weld to the tube. Keep the welds away from the u-joints and use plug welds in addition to the bead. NOT the place to be figuring out how to weld...

For donors I've used everything from Buick to early Datsun Z-car (great for intermediate shafts) to BMWs to Suzuki Samurai. I'd stay away from the aluminum OEM u-joints. Make sure you use a "capture" type cross or pinch bolt (goes through a notch in the shaft). I've seen more failures from u-joint set screws coming loose than I have from broken welds... Just my $.02.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I think $50 is a fair price for what you are asking them to do. Tires cost more, and only last a few years. .02

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i got a 3/4-36x3/4DD Borg..usually goes for $92.60..stainless..

just sitting here..never gonna use it, its never been on anything..talk to me

10. Slick's Speed Shop

Slick's Speed Shop

Thanks everyone for the info I am recieving. I just want to make sure no one gets the impression that I am working on a customer's car. This is for my own project and for my own interests.

Thanks,
    Todd

11. I LOL'ed

As if $100 blows the budget on a build, I'm in stitches over here :D

12. Fogger

Fogger

As stated above, the set screw/jam nut attachment on the Borgeson have failed due to improper installation. A detent must be drilled into the steering shaft to index the set screw and Loktite applied to the set screw and jam nut. I use steering u-joints from a Porsche 914. They clamp onto a 3/4"-36 splined shaft and imo are must safer than any after market unit.

13. Fenders

Fenders

How's $40 each?
    Check your Speedway catalog....

14. pcterm2

pcterm2

if you can find one of these and do some measuring it might be a little cheaper
    Rockwell CPL6R30
    GM 3918866
    Flx 97-9714-00165
    Gillig 82-02696-000
    by the way these are steering joints

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevy Astro Van

16. I've never had much luck with junkyard u-joints. See if you can find some cheaper plain steel u-joints, just heed the above warnings about the proper use of set screws!

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Whatever on your own, or a customer's...........;

Yep; Just because an aftermarket supply that sells hot rod parts , that don't make them better than some OEM. If you can find one at a junk yard cheap why not? I would'nt weld a u-joint to the shaft, I'd use the same technique for mounting that was used on the vehicle you cop it from, would most likely be DD or splined.

18. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Swap meets.

19. barry wny

barry wny

Speedway & Tractor Supply bearings

Attached Files:

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

I learned a long time ago, when it comes to steering, brakes and cooling buy the best.

21. Canuck

Canuck

Second on the Astro van.

Shaft about 12" long, U joint on one end splined for GM box, other end is 3/4" DD. Vibration coupling in between with a bit of a slide area in case of a accident.

Should pass any government inspection, as engineered by GM for a vehicle that is heavier than most of our cars and works under more extreme angles in it's original home.

Cnuck

22. how often does that work out???

23. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

pinching pennys on steering or brakes ....not me

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Every time the builder elects to do it that way.

25. CANUCK - Anymore info on the Astro Van U-Joint...year(s), part number, etc?...

BARRY WNY - Same thing...any part numbers/descriptions for the TSC parts?...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  26. Take a look at european cars.......I got a nice one (compact) from a Saab or Volvo or something like that. Double D style, worked great.

27. greaseguns

greaseguns

The guy was asking about OEM joints and all he gets is a bunch of sermons ! OK you guys have an extra 100 bucks, some of us dont !!

28. HotRod33

HotRod33

when you put together a poorly thought out steering with whatever cheap parts you can find that does not make it safe. so you go out and crash if the steering fails to bad... but when you hurt someone else or your family thats tragic..... If you can't afford a 100 dollars for safe steering when you are building a car you probably shouldn't be building one.......

29. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If you believe what you just said, you certainly shouldn't be building one.......It's poor thinking to presume that. ....

How much I pay for a part hasn't got a fuckin' thing to do with whether it's safe or not.