Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Steering Sticking/Binding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mudbog42, Apr 22, 2019.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42

So today I got new tires (replaced the old bias plys with radials) put on my 1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 and noticed the steering feels off. Kind of hard to explain but it sort of feels like the steering has sticking spots and also no longer returns to center. Sort of like its hard, easy, hard, easy while turning the wheel. It seems to have just started happening after I picked it up from the tire shop. Not sure if that is just coincidence or not.

Also, the power steering pump, gearbox, and lines were all replaced a couple months ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

doubt it will help but maybe rotate tires front to back. see if any difference.

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You might try adjusting the steering box, exactly as instructed in the service manual.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Radials WILL noticeably feel different than bias ply tires. By their nature, they have a greater footprint and combined with the more flexible sidewall, they naturally are more prone to resist turning (as in steering, not rotating). That is what makes them more directionally stable than bias ply.

However, the inconsistent feel in your steering effort should not be a characteristic of a radial tire. But the above described radial behavior would tend to make any steering system problems more apparent, imo.

Among the things to check, see if the p/s pump drive belt is adjusted tight enough and/or ‘glazed’ and in need of replacement.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019

5. alchemy

alchemy

Do power steering systems do this if there is air in the lines? Does it need to be burped?

6. BJR

BJR

I would disconnect the steering box from the linkage and see if you still feel the bad spots with the engine running while turning the wheel. If that is OK with the linkage still disconnected move the wheels left and right and look for tight spots or a bind. That should find where the problem is.

7. Doubt it’s the tires causing those steering issues
    Probably something to do with the recently changed complete steering system

302GMC and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  8. How about disconnecting the steering column at the steering gear and making sure that nothing is binding in the column itself? :confused:

9. Does it need to be burped?? This is an automatic event once the motor starts to turn the pump. If not you have a bigger issue than air in the lines.

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same size tires and wheels as before?

11. Gerrys

Gerrys

Did you replace ball joints and tie rod ends? Make sure all suspension parts are lubricated and not binding. With the front end on jack stands it should turn freely lock to lock.

12. mudbog42

mudbog42

Well, finally got a chance to get under the car and shake some things up. Looking like it’s time to rebuild the front end. Got play in the ball joints, control arm bushings, etc. I guess I’m just feeling everything more now with the radials on...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  13. Kind of how the Old Car story goes. Everything wears out about the same rate. You get used to it as it happens and nothing is real bad. As you change little things all the rest becomes more and more noticeable and less acceptable.