Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Steering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dbshelton, Nov 22, 2014.

1. dbshelton

dbshelton

I am building a 65 Falcon with a Speedway "Gasser" straight front axle. The 460 big block is making packaging a little challenge. I am going to use the stock Falcon manual steering box with cross steering setup. Is there any problem with having the tie rod assembly in front of the axle and steering from behind the axle? Pretty sure I can fabricate a steering arm that would work out to have the drag link pretty much level and parallel with the axle. I think it would simplify things.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Do you mean you will keep the drag link behind the axle, attached to a steering arm on the right side spindle that is also behind the axle. and you want to put the tie rod that connects the right and left side in front of the axle?
    If so, that would 'work'....but you may/will not have correct steering geometry when turning, unless you address the Ackermann principle that ensures the inside wheel in the turn has a shorter turning radius than the out side wheel.

If, by chance, you are thinking of a rear mounted steering box/drag link attached to the front of the right spindle steering arm, the car will steer opposite to the steering wheel input. I doubt that is what you are suggesting, just wanted to be completely clear on this.

Ray

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yes, What Hnstray said. To get the correct Ackerman angle you will need to heat-and-bend the ends of the steering arms outward such that a line drawn from the tierod hole through the kingpin CL intersects the center of the rear axle. It is often impossible to get this much angle before the arm hits the brake drum/caliper. I know some drag only cars that just set them as far apart as possible and live with the inconsequential scrub on tight turns.

I know there is at least one straight axle '64 Sprint with a 460 running around in Canada - my old "Endangered Species" car. I do not know how the steering is done as the car has been revamped since I owned it (with an inline six). The family that owns it is the Beausoleils. Sorry - no contact info.

[​IMG]

4. dbshelton

dbshelton

Sounds like I need to use steering arms with more offset to clear the oilpan and have the everything behind the axle.