Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering play...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mack57, Sep 4, 2013.

1. mack57

mack57

Hi all,
    Finished up the brake issues on the '48 Chevy Coupe. Took it down the road.... Def steering issue. A ton of play in the steering. Where do I start? Replacing steering box doesn't seem an option... But, I don't know that. I only see a rebuild kit for it through Chevsofthe40s.
    Ideas?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

first thing is to jack up the front end (both sides) and grab the tire at the 3 and 9 position and give it a good shake back and forth. It really helps to have a buddy with a flashlight looking at your inner and outer tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm etc. Usually grabbing each joint while shaking the tire back and forth with reveal the problem. If all of the joints are tight and have no play, suspect a worn steering gear box. You can check this by shaking the steering wheel back and forth while a buddy watches the steering shaft going into the box. If the shaft turns a lot before the actual steering gear begins moving the pitman arm, your box is worn and needs rebuilt/replaced. After any steering component replacement an alignment will be needed to make sure your steering wheel is centered and you wont wear out your front tires.

3. 24riverview

24riverview

4. Erics53

Erics53
    from Ohio

I am going through this on my 53 chevy. Most of the rebuild kits that I have seen do not include the worm gear or sector gear. They only give you seals and bearings.

I would like to know how hard it would be to adapt a vega steering box and keep as much of the original column as possible.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Have someone rock the steering back and forth and watch tie rod ends for looseness. Watch pitman arm to see moves right when the steering wheel is turned. If not watch the steering wheel to see if it moves up and down as you rock the wheel. If so the bearing preload is loose on the worm gear shaft an needs to be adjusted.

6. mack57

mack57

The front end seems very tight. You can turn the steering shaft/wheel freely 1/4 turn in each direction before engaging steering gear.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

does the shaft from the column move in and out when you rock the steeling wheel.\?

8. mack57

mack57

No, just turns with a lot of excess. Once it engages it's tight from the pitman on... Just slop in the steering wheel to gear box section.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

On top of the steering gear there is a roller shaft adjusting screw loosen the lock nut, turn the adjusting screw down tight then back off until free. then turn the adjusting screw until it lightly contacts the end if the roller shaft.

10. There are 3 adjustments on these boxes - the one that sunbeam mentioned, and the other 2 are covered in the manual. You will need a BIG open -ender to go over the adjusting nut where the column goes into the box- that,s where most of your play will be. Get your hands on a copy of the manual, it,s all in there.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

That's why I ask if the steering shaft was moving in and out when he rocked the steering wheel.

12. mack57

mack57

Hey guys,
    Thank you! Steering adjusted & ready for a test drive!
    Thank you!!!
    Mack