Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering options -'53 Ford ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by randy, Dec 27, 2003.

1. randy

randy

I've recently acquired a '53 ford Victoria that is in really good shape. Body is straight, manageable rust, recently rebuilt flathead, good brakes etc. etc.

BUT! It steers like a... well I don't know, it just steers like SHIT. A front end rebuild/drop spindles is slated for the next couple of months, & it's out of alignment as it is now. This aside, I've never really had a car with a steering box that is this sloppy. I'm assuming it's shot so:

What does a rebuild go for on these things?

Are there any conversions that are recommended? Eventually this car is going to be a driver for my wife and thankfully she hasn't been blessed with a truckers' forearms, so I'd like to make it as user friendly as possible.

I'd even be cool with a smooth (i.e. better than stock) manual steer conversion.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

-r

2. It may not be the steering box.
    Idler arms go bad and create sloppiness.
    Tie rod ends wear out.
    Check those.

Check the steering box to see if it is low or dry.
    Adjust the box for play, that will make a difference.

My 50 Plymouth coupe steered hard when I first got it.
    New tires - radials - correctly inflated helped.
    Biggest help was filling the almost dry box with the oil recommended for it and simply driving it.
    Driving it got things freed up and after a couple of not too far apart lube jobs steering was improved to about where it was when new.

You may find a lube point that won't take grease at first.
    Check to see if the zerk is passing grease.
    If it is, drive the car for a bit, then try to grease it again.
    Sometimes you have to get the weight off the suspension and run the wheels side to side before the zerk will take grease, but almost always you can get some grease in.
    Running the wheels side to side means turn em full left, shoot grease, run em full right shoot grease etc.

Having someone else operate the steering wheel while you're greasing is a recipe for pinched fingers.

3. Sounds like maybe your getting ahead of yourself a little. Wait untill you rebuild the suspension and do a full service on the steering box. Those cars drive pretty well when all is good and tight. Being out of alignment can cause all kinds of symptons..
    The Wizzard

4. I think the problem is that you can't drive for crap.....

5. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

All of the above.
    I have a 53 Vicky and it is a one handed driver when all is in spec.

Attached Files:

6. randy

randy

Thanks for the input.

The under carriage is getting steam cleaned next week so I'll be able to really discern the status of the suspension after that. The tires are kind of old bias- ply so that could be a huge contributing factor as well.

Ted is probably most correct in his assessment that I just can't drive. Ted is known to be a decent driver, but does have problems with basic physical functions like...well... controlling his bowels etc. [​IMG]

I'd like to be the first to wish him the best of luck with his new characteristic.

-r

p.s. BITCHIN car 286. If I weren't such a bumbler I'd have figured out how to post pics by now. Maybe one day I'll figure it out & show you my '53.