Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering noise when turning left

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IndigoInkTaco, Jul 3, 2017.

1. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

I'm planning to lift the truck up tomorrow and start poking around, but was hoping (with a crude description of the sound) that someone may be able to point me in the right direction.
    The first thing that came to mind when I heard it, was it sounds like a slinky falling down stairs. lol... Thats really the best way I can describe it. Like a loose spring or coil being bounced around. It only happens when turning left. It initially started a couple months ago, but it wasn't bad and thought it was always there, but maybe I never heard it over the radio. Now the sound is louder and I don't have to turn the wheel as far to generate the sound. It doesn't happen at idle or low speeds. I'd say it happens once I get over 15mph, and again, only when making a left turn; doesnt matter if it's sharp or gradual at this point.
    Any thoughts or places to start my search? (mustang II /R&P steering on the truck, if it matters)

2. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

First thought would certainly be a wheel bearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVater likes this.
  3. Look for a spring out of the pocket or rubbing on a shock. I had an odd one in my Ford last week, the lower control arm was loose on one side, I need to put a washer/spacer back in that I took out when it was all apart.

4. redo32

redo32

Tell us about the suspension on your truck. Steering box, rear end? Going straight on nice pavement, put slight pressure turning left on steering wheel. Does it make noise? and stop when you straighten wheel to right? Sounds like right wheel bearing.