Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Gear Identification?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatheadguy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I acquired this steering box - column some time ago. Not really suited to my current build. But, for the life of me cannot remember the origin. Does it look familiar to anyone? If can properly ID it, I'll sell it to someone who may find it useful. Damn cheap too!! (pitman arm included)

Direct steer, not cross steering.

Steering Box 1.jpg

Steering Box 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. I'm thinking late '40s/early '50s Chevy/GMC AD series pickup, but I could be wrong.

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Thanks for the reply. You may be correct. We'll see what oithers may have to say. It's in pretty good condition, but not really applicable to my current build. I would like to ID it so as to properly describe when posting a for sale ad.

4. The box looks just like early ford (32) but not sure about that mount. Very Interesting!

5. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Not so sure about 32 Ford, but, I appreciate any and all "brain power". Someone out there is going to see the photos and that little light bulb over their head will quickly illuminate. You know, an AHA!! moment.

6. Carter

Carter

That definitely looks like a Gemmer box just like a 32 Ford, but that sector housing is definitely nothing I've seen before. Nealinca on here is pretty knowledgeable on the Gemmer boxes. If you put a 32 or 33-34 sector housing on there, it would be tough to distinguish it from a 32-4 box. Any pictures of the pitman arm or higher up the steering shaft?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. Carter

Carter

Here is a picture of some 32-4 housings.

[​IMG]

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Thanks for the efforts. Here are two more photos. The pitman arm is 8" overall length. The top of the column is a very Ford like taper, but the overall inner shaft diameter is a bit larger. Now, this is becoming quite interesting, eh?
    Various characters in various locations....14423.....14000....and "G" (Gemmer?)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  9. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

How do I get a question to "Nealinca"? I barely know how to get online and post photos.

10. Carter

Carter

I just sent him a message to see if he could chime in here.

11. NealinCA

NealinCA

It looks like 39-46 dodge pickup. They used a gemmer1 box very similar to a 32-34 Ford box. Hope that helps.

12. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

13. 30dodge54

30dodge54

It looks like box for a dodge 30
    Interested in purchasing

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!