Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering disassembly

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cammer8, Aug 25, 2016.

1. cammer8

cammer8

I've got a 1934 Ford pickup half ton and I'd like to remove the steering wheel and steering column so I can get at the steering box could anybody tell me the proper way to disassemble it thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take the pitman arm off, remove the steering wheel, unbolt or loosen the clamp under the dash and any clamp at the floor board, unbolt the box from the frame and slide it out the bottom. Helps to have the rig jacked up pretty good. in the front..

3. cammer8

cammer8

I was under the impression the the horn ring had to be somehow released from the steering box end before you can pop off the horn button?

4. F&J

F&J

I never did a 34, but I'd bet it's like a Model A with the headlight switch mounted at the bottom end of the steering box?

If so, yes you need to disconnect the inner light switch rod at the bottom, from the light switch. It might be just a compression nut. Then disconnect the horn wire that is in the light switch rod.

At that point, you slide the long thin rod out from the steering wheel end, horn button and all.

Then you can get to the big nut on steering wheel

5. Yes you need to disconnect the horn shaft that runs threw the steering colume. Sometimes it is easier to remove the hole colume and work on it on the bench. At the bottom of the box there is a switch you have to take apart to get the horn shaft out. If you are pulling the steering box out of the frame just pull it out all at once, them you can see what it take to disconnect the headlight switch. Just take off pitman arm and colume drop pull up the floor and out she comes. May have to take off the ex. Pipe to get the box out of the frame.

6. I can post pictures when I get home today from work if you need me too.

7. Mac VP

Mac VP

Don't be tempted to pull out the horn rod inside the cab and bend it to remove it. With the tight confines of a pickup truck you probably won't be able to do this......others can confirm this. In this case it should be easier if you remove the entire assy as described above and then disassemble it on your bench.

A bent horn rod is usually toast, so be careful how you handle this.

8. silversink

silversink

If you do pull the rod out of the column remove the rear window , drop the column off its mount and pull the rod up and out the window opening. Once the rod is bent it is hard to straighten---don't chance it