Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering column/ wheel question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51chevcoupe, Jan 25, 2009.

1. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

Hello All,

I have a 1951 Chevy Deluxe Sport coupe on a '79 El Camino chassis. It had no steering column when I got it so I installed a GM tilt column set up. My question is this- can I can install an original '51 style steering wheel on the late model column without any major mods? I know I can get an aftermarket wheel that looks vintage and all but I can get an original wheel for a lot less from a local guy and money is a big issue right now.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated
    Ed

2. chevyshack

chevyshack

Im not sure if the mounting holes are the same size. Id see if he would let you try it on first.

3. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Almost anything can be modified to fit anything else. If it won't work or is to much labor, put the wheel in the parts pile until you can come up with a solution. In my opinion, you can never have to many parts.

4. Yes you can, as long as they are both GM. You will have to remove the cancel cam from the '51 wheel and you will have to drill a hole for the cam on the new column. If you have a column shift, the '51 wheel will hit the shift arm when you shift. You can heat and bend it so it doesn't curve towards the wheel so much. If you have a floor shift then you don't have worry about the shifter.

Hope this helps...

5. When I said to drill a hole, I meant in the '51 wheel. The cam on the newer columns are a plastic round protrusion that the horn contact slides into.