Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering column Question..

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Al, Jun 18, 2019.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since you just want to plug it in, get the junkyard column. Look for mid size GM cars with rear wheel drive and rectangular seal beam headlights with tilt and column shift. Same situation for the Mopar cars for the PRND2L thing. The neutral safety switch is the white "C" shaped switch on the bottom of the column inside the car. It is adjustable. Loosen the two mounting screws, put the shifter into neutral and stick a small piece of wire in the small hole to line it up. The large purple and yellow wires are for the neutral switch, the other two are for the backup lights.

2. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Has anyone had any dealings with a company called Classic Performance?? CPP for short. They have all sorts of columns, but I can't figure out which one I would need..

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Can't follow your line of thinking. You say that you don't want to rewire the ignition switch setup but you keep asking questions about aftermarket columns where you will have to do some wire modifications. With my way, you keep all the modifications you made with your previous column with just the addition of a shifter on it which is what you want anyhow. There is no magic bullet here.

4. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Back when I bought my fuse block and such at Back to the 50's. It came wired so I could just plug into a GM connectors. The NSS I wired to the switch on the Lokar Shifter. I would like to buy a nice new column that doesn't have the slop in it that my other column had. If I came across a good OEM column I would get it, but all of the people I have talked with today from here said to just buy a new column. One that has the GM connectors already on it. Only thing I need to do with the aftermarket column I am looking at now is shove it threw the floor mount I have. Lightly tighten it to the 4.5" drop I have. Change the connector on the bottom of the column for the trans linkage. Slide the column back and slide it back into the joint that is there already. It is already set up for a 33" column. Tighten down on the drop. Put the GM wired connectors into the proper sockets. Put the steering wheel on. I already have that as well. I have had two aftermarket columns already. The connectors are already on it. No extra wiring is involved with it.

5. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

You know what, take your car to someone who will do what you want. It seems you don't really want to build. When someone here gives advice, there's an excuse why that won't work. This isn't "plug and play". Sometimes things have to be modified.

6. The CPP column a friend didn't use was off shore crap, same plastic tilt, same cheap construction.

7. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I will go next week, and look for a mid GM column at the junkyard to see what I can find.. Thanks for your help..

8. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I think you will have to get out of the city, and go out in the sticks[a lot more room to keep older cars]i have found 3 of the Chevy van ones, with the key in the dash in the last 5 years. But you have to get out and look for yourself

9. Rick S

Rick S

You could also come to the Back to the Fifties this weekend and see what the vendors have to offer. While you're there look around at cars like yours and see what the owner's used.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The one I put in my car has the key and the PRNODDL hickey on top of it. No idea what it came out of, but it was a OD transmission vehicle. Had a Chevy wheel on it, so I guess maybe S10 pickup. Stock GM for sure.