Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering column question..henry j.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plodge55aqua, Jun 21, 2010.

1. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Hellooo,,, Any Rule of thumb for the Proper angle of a Steering Column positioning? Doing up a Henry J... I need your input please... The original one was toast...

And If I was to go to a after market style of column,,, what would you all recommend?

Terry

2. If you're talking about comfort, thats a preference thing. As far as geometry goes, if you're using U-joints you should try to keep them at around 30 or 35 degrees or less. At least that's what I've always done. Works for me, never had one fail. As far as the aftermarket column I'd go with a late 60s to early 70 GM column. Easy to get and it makes the turn signal and brake lite and Ign.hook up a snap I've got a tilt column from a 73 Pontiac Ventura in my Roadster and it works good. I chose tilt just because it makes it alot easier on my 62 year old body getting in and out. The 29 is pretty tight. ( what was I thinking ) My next one will have a little more room!!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Thank you for the information Oldschool66.. Much Appreciated.. Any one else out there like to share there knowledge? Can I cut an old Column down to make it fit? can I put a U Joint at the end to make the slight angle?