Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Column Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick O, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Nick O

Nick O
    from Ohio

I need some ideas as I am a little confused. I wanted a 40's style look in my recent Model A PU so I bought a 40's style Nostalgia Flaming river GM ready column and 15 ' GM ready Vintique sterring wheel. Thought this would make a nice looking column and wheel. Upon receiving the GM ready wheel it will not seat all the way on the column, it lacks about a 1/4 inch from seatring against the bell of the column, although both say they are GM ready. I did not want the adapter look if I could at all avoid it,I liked the look of the wheel seating right up next to the bell on the column. When I questioned Flaming river they say that particular wheel will only fit there tilt colums not their GM ready roadster type colums, I do not understand this. They go on to say that they offer the same column with a 40 style keyway and that I should exchange my GM Vintique wheel for a 40 style keyed wheel. Sounds good except the keyed wheel is 17 inch diameter and I just dont have room for a 17 wheel in the stock cab. So long story short do any of you guys have any ideas how I can get that nice roadster coulum look with a 15 inch 40 style wheel, or better yet make what i have compatible somehow? I guess i thought i did my homework and that all pieces would fiit nicely but somewhere along the line i went wrong.
    Thanks for your help.

2. F&J

F&J

I never had those two parts to look at.

Just some questions; I assume these are "tapered splines" like GM?

When you put the wheel on the shaft splines with no nut. If you push down to sort of seat the splines, does the wheel still rock side to side, or does it feel solid like the splines are fitting perfect? and then look at the threaded shaft with the wheel on; does it look normal or does it look like the hub needs to go down more, onto the splined part?

If all that looks good, I'd be looking at both ends of the column to see if there is any way to adjust the inner shaft to solve the problem.

Is there a diagram of the column all apart? Probably not, but that would help someone here to see if there is a way to shim or adjust.