Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Column for 1939 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captainflight, Jul 3, 2012.

1. captainflight

captainflight

I am seeking information on what GM steering column would be a good choice for my '39 Ford project. I would like tilt from a floor shift car. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have searched the forums but didn't find what I was looking for.

2. b-bob

b-bob

Mine has a Chevy Van tilt in it, but it has the shifter. Hooked to a Vega style box.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

What??? No fat tilt-a-wheel info on HAMB???

Sounds like a meatless Tuesday

4. kscarguy

kscarguy

Even though I am frugal, I'd still spend the money and use an Ididit column. They are far cleaner looking that factory GM columns.

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Nothing wrong with a stock column and the banjo is prehaps the best looking wheel ever. You can adapt this to a later box or rack and pinion if desired. Late model columns look like crap in an early Ford.

6. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

I adapted a 39 Banjo to a late GM column.....Works fine but I would never do it again.....Doesn't look so great either.....

7. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I would say that no tilt wheel will look good. Period.

8. Although I don't have a tilt wheel in any of my current hot rods I have used a GM van tilt column in a 40 Ford sedan a long time ago,,it was pretty clean looking. HRP

9. kscarguy

kscarguy

I think what you are looking for is a chevy truck tilt column. Something pre-1968. They are not cheap, but are reasonably clean. The only thing bolted to the column is the neutral start switch near the very bottom. It has the right length. The later models have the the key on the column, so then you have to deal with the ignition switch mounted lower on the column. On your 39, you will be able to see this switch.

10. You can use the van and pick upcolumn and fill the shifter hole and lock the shift bell down. They run about $200.00. Getting harder to find. One them is a little longer but can't remember which is which.

11. captainflight

captainflight

Thanks for the info guys.

12. be sure to cover the lower half it in carpet, too.

13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't find a factory tilt and didn't want to by an aftermarket. I pulled an 80's Camaro tilt apart and reworked it. It's not that bad of a project, however it did require machining an adapter to fasten the tilt mechanism to the lower tube ( 2" exhaust pipe ). I had a "tinner" make a sheetmetal cone to transition from the upper col. diameter to the 2" tubing.

Attached Files: