Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering box rebuild...more than I can chew??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick Willy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Well, Im feeling under the weather so I decided to tear down my steering box on my roadster...whatever.

By numbers and such it appears I have a 1942 ford box. It has been giving a little play and this winters project is to dial in the front end. So here goes...

The box did have a small leak..first question

Does the lower plate(when dissassembled has a tube going to the steering shaft), is that supposed to have a zirc fitting on it?
    Weeeelll mine didnt and seems to have let some road crap get up there.

Both bearings on the worm gear are smoked and the high side of the races has a bad lip...these I feel confident in replacing, although the upper race is stuck hard in the cover.

The rest of the worm gear seems okay, no bad wearing or ridges.

The biggest problem I can see is that there is alot of wear on the roller shaft probably where the bushings have worn to very little. Is this something I can emery cloth down and replace the sleeves?

The rest of the rollers seem fine other than where the adjustment screw may have been to tight.

So, in a nutshell, I was hoping to get away with replacing the sleeves and bearings and putting it back together.

Have any of you done one of these and was it a bear?? My other option is saving my pennies to send it out...Or, take my chances with another old one...

Any input would be great guys, or any links or tech archives..I did a search but came up rather empty!

Thanks,
    Slick Willy

2. barry wny

barry wny

Not a big deal, the bottom cup slides to adjust endplay, as in none but not binding, the gasket set will have a bunch that you shim it with trial & error. The top bearing cup drives out. The antique parts guys also have 600w oil or just use gear lube. The tube on the end plate is horn wire conduit, can use it or braze it over. There is a seal on the bottom of the pitman shaft keeps the oil in. Most common I believe is adjusting the slop out when the worm in centered where the wear is. And then it's too tight on the ends and it galls the gears. Done a few, the column support with ignition switch & lock are the tough parts to deal with IMO
    http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24871

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You can do it, man. It sounds like you're on the right track and have the correct plan of attack. No zerk fitting on that tube, that's where the horn wire passes through on its way to the steering wheel.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you have noticable wear on the roller [sector] shaft enery cloth and new bushing won't help. You would need to grind the shaft down to remove any grooving and make up special smaller ID bushing. You can NOT grind it down freehand, need either a tool post grinder in a lathe or a real grinding machine. Look for another box to RB or for parts lots of them around. Or buy new repop !

5. bgaro

bgaro

found rebuild sets for mine from Early Ford Store, and they got 600w oil too

6. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

When I did a Willys Jeep steering box I had to custom ream the sector shaft bushings to fit. I just carefully used a brake hone and it worked out fine, but if the shaft is worn egg shaped get a new one.

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

The worn shaft isnt that bad...maybe I can get some pics up tomorrow...its definitely not egged out. It seems that the lowest part of the sleeve is real thin and the shaft just started to wear.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Anything more than .001 -.002 Max is toooo much even with new bushings.

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Okay, thanks John... I will start plan b, or c, or d tomorrow