Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering box question on 36 p/u

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by decayed40, Jan 6, 2008.

1. decayed40

decayed40

i did the search but maybe im not wording correctly ,i have a sbc w/tri power going in my 36 ford p/u i already split the bones and put in the plate for the 350 trans mount and i am using front mounts going to the original mount from the flatty ,my question is i can by a nice set of ceramic block huggers that run real tight to the block ,but will they clear the factory steering box/ gear that on the end if the column,im sure this has been delt with any body have the answer ? i want the coated headers but i dont want to buy them if i need to cut and move a tube or two. thanks for the help in advance. doug:confused:

2. decayed40

decayed40

also forgot to add im running 4" drop super bell axle posies spring and drop steering arms on the spindle original style cross steering set up in case it matters

3. in my experience ,block hugger headers will probably bang right into the stock steering box..and make it hard to make a tight turn and then past the oil filter , through the stock hole in the frame to connect to the exhaust. you probably need to route the exhaust that way. with wishbones you do not have room to go between the bottom of the frame and the wishbones..... and going below the wishbones with the exhaust makes it TOO low. if you have IFS , you can run the exhaust right below the frame if needed.

i would suggest you check out Sanderson's website...they list dimensions of all their headers. in applications like yours ,i have had good luck with their CC2 header . they ares short but the collector is farther out , letting you run the pipe down in front of the steering box , then around it besides the oil pan , past the oil filter then out through the stock hole in the frame. i tried their CC1 and it hit the stock steering box .

also , take a look at sanderson's CC4 headers...the drivers side has a forward slant to clear the steering box. they also don't let you use the normal SBC side mounts..but since your are using a front saddle mount these will fit great

Sanderson's website:

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/

of course , different header makers have different dimensions and maybe someone else's may fit. fitting headers is sometimes a crap shoot and you have to try several different ones to get a set to fit

i know you asked for tube headers , but what also does fit nice in your application with the front hurst style mount is old 265 manifolds..they are a piece of cake . i wish i had a picture to show you

here is a picture of my `36 with a vega box and center dump ram horns...so you get an idea what you are up against

[​IMG]

4. decayed40

decayed40

thank you for the post and info i would have to agree with your suggestions on the sanderson site,the the cc2 looks like a good fit do to the horizontal run over on the back tube,and your picture really looks familiar!! thank you again it was a great help have agreat night!