Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering box extension? HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by randydupree, Oct 28, 2006.

1. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i was helping a buddy out tonite on his 30 model A,his steering was giving him problems.
    This car has a straight axle out of an old ford econoline and i think the steering box is out of the same van,its a ford box for sure.
    anyway,this steering box has an extension that slides over the pitman arm shaft and extends it out (making it longer by 3'' or so)so that the pitman arm is moved away from the frame.
    This extension has internal splines on one end,and external splines on the other and has 2 set screws that hold it on.
    This extension has the splines stripped out on the female side,has anyone ever seen an extension like this? where can we get one?
    Without a new extension we will have to put in a new steering box and redo the steering. HELP!
    Randy

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Sorry, I can't be of any specific help - I've never seen a part as you describe, but I'd like to ask you this: Are you sure this is a factory piece??? Being held in place with just 2 set screws sounds "iffy" at best (and dangerous at worst).

If this were mine my next question would be - Why did it fail in the first place??? I'd want to seriously avoid going down this road again if I was behind the wheel. Maybe a re-design is in order?

Any chance you can post a pic??

3. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i doubt its a ford factory piece,but it is a factory made piece from somewhere.
    Its a scarey deal to me,its held on with 2 set screws,and both had come out and were missing,that let the thing work loose and stripped the splines out.
    this car was a barn find about 6 years ago but it had been built into a hotrod in the mid sixtys i would say. so theres no telling where it was built or...
    the first time i saw this car i saw the extension and i didnt like it then,too much stress way out on the end of that thing.

Randy

4. Put a high strength cross bolt throug it, large enough to be safe small enough not to weaken the shaft. For race cars like my old altered I drill another set of holes in the extension and with my stick welder stuck it through the holes and filled from the pitman shaft out. N o possible way it will come off then.