Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering box apadter plate for a 46-48 Chevy, steering box upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47.Poncho, Jan 15, 2013.

1. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

I'm looking for a way to improve the steering in my coupe. There's about a full turn of play in the box and can't adjust anymore. I know they make steering box adapter plates for the 40's Fords but does anyone make one for a Chevy? I read on the internet that at one point Chassis Engineering made one for a newer saganaw 603 box. I just phoned them but they either don't make it anymore or it never existed. Can anyone shed some light on this? I hate driving it with that much play in it. Thanks

2. chubbie

chubbie

Poncho!! I feel your pain! its hard to judge corners, drives like shit in the wind!!! mine is a '41 chevy (chubbie) 10 years ago mullins made a x steer set up for our cars like a mid 1960's set up. with this set up you could use a 60's steering box of choice. but they sold out(mullins sold to another company) and i talked to the guy that built them and said he didn't sell enofe of them. now most guys use racks. kind of made the "box" obsolett. my old chevy drives so nice, if only i had a steering box that worked.

20 years ago i set up a 60's steering box but it steered backwards. then i set it up with a buick power rack and couldn't get my mechanic to help me on it (the steering shaft came out of the center of the car). bought a rebuilt '41 box used that for years, now it is starting to get loose

3. OrrieG

OrrieG
    from Idaho

4. There is an Astro Van box that will work if you can find it. You'd have to make a bracket for it but templates are out there.

5. chubbie

chubbie

Poncho, believe it or not I actually found an original flyer for the parts. You could have bought it with or without a steering box. Maybe using the picture and using measurements off of the car, a guy could make this.

Attached Files:

6. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

Chubbie, for me it's the trying to stay in your lane that scars me the most. That and blasting it through the gears. To bad they don't make those anymore because I would buy one in a second. Hmmmmm what to do, what to do. Anyone else got any idea's?

7. Hmmmm... I know the frame design for chevies were similar up to '54. I had a 50 chevy with a junk steering box and replaced it with a '53 steering box. It was a bolt-in and the 53-54 boxes had roller bearings where the 50 had bronze or brass bushings. Car drove like a new car!
    I wouldn't be surprised to find your 40s steering box is very similar to the 50s boxes as the rest of the suspension is so similar.