Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering AV8. F1 box + model A flange. WHY?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

Yeah, I'm using a 32 K member which locates the engine pretty low in the chassis. The front of the box is about the width of a piece of paper away from the center tube. I can live with that, but the collar of the box interferes with the rear tube too much. I'm just going to cut out the back tube and get everything else in place and deal with that later.

2. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Not much room for the box.

Attached Files:

3. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Now you can see there is no space between the box and header.
    My idea is to cut a bit of the frame away, to get a little space between. the third pic shows the mark of how much I would cut away.
    Is there any other idea?

Attached Files:

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

You could cut the closed end of the lock nut off. You could gain about a 1/4" clearance that way...and that's probably enough.

Neal

mark hogan likes this.
  5. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Good idea. Thanks. I do it tomorrow.

6. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

I actually started a thread about this a while back, but no one seemed intersted so I kinda abandoned it. I posted pictures of what the box looks like in relation to the F-1 Box. The Chevy box I had actually came out of a '37 Pick up.

Here's the thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580014

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Couldnt you make a mount to position the bus box lower, on the inside of the frame rail, and run the sector shaft through the frame rail on a full fendered car? Sector shaft too short?

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

See Greasemunkee's post above. It looks like the Chevy bracket would be a good candidate for doing just that.

Neal

9. This is the setup on my 32 using a 54 f-100 box without a tapered flange or welding. The box mounting flange was machined for proper angle and machined flat for bolt clearence.

Attached Files:

10. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Ok, I cutted the lock nut a bit, hammered the header a bit, lengthen the hole in the frame downwards and brought the engine mount 1/2" higher.
    After that i got 5/16" space between the box and header, not much. But I hope thats enough. If not, i will try to get the engine another 1/2" higher.

Attached Files:

11. jick

jick
    from london

sorry in advance for the hijack!

but if anyone has a Model A flange available for sale i'd really appreciate it?

then i can put all this really useful info into practice!

many thanks....Jick

12. Good stuff guys, seeing this post....well I need to get my ass in gear. :D hopefully good motivation to stay late at the shop and get the coupe driving.

13. jick

jick
    from london

thanks man, i appreciate it! I completely forgot that they sell 'em.

cheers....jick

14. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Neil,
    Whats the trick for welding the flange on? Any special rod or just go for it with the wire feed?

15. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Bump - I was really hoping for some discussion on the welding technique...

16. walter

walter

Lucky 77
    I am using the same set up on my 29 roadster. Jim at Reds sent me a set of headers that fit like socks on a rooster. I contacted him and helped build a left header for this exact aplication. They should have the patern. It may help you out.
    Walter

17. paulsec

paulsec
    from Reno, NV

18. U-235

U-235

What nobody seems to ever talk about here is how many turns do you end up with from lock to lock after the installation...I'd like to know.

I intially used a 36 Chevy pick-up box that in the stock (pick-up) had 3-1/2 turns lock to lock....installed in my 31 coupe, I had only 1/2 turn left to right before I hit the stops on the backing plate...my steering arm was approximately 6" long and I used a
    oldstyle hairpin. I figured I'd be steering this thing all over the highway...so even tho I liked the installation...I scrapped it and went with a (yuck) corvair. I now have 3/4 turn left and 3/4 turn right for a total of 1-1/2 turns lock to lock..I'm not happy with this either, but I've agonized over this long enough that I've moved on to other things to get my car on the road and will live with the quick steering until it becomes unbearable..

What lock to lock do you others have...is 3/4 one way and 3/4 the other going to be alright..?

19. lufsdastuf

lufsdastuf
    from Detroit

After reading this thread I decided to make a flange for my F1 box and get is machined down to mount it on the Model A frame rail. I created this flange drawing in Auto Cad to trace it on the plate steel before cutting and drilling. It worked well so I thought I would post the drawing on here. It’s a PDF file so you can print it out and trace it for your project. I used half inch bolts but you can use whatever.

Attached Files:

20. Thanks for the PDF. Lufsdastuf.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You need a shorter pitman arm/steering arm. Use the arm that came with the box.

22. gashog

gashog

Attached Files:

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nice! I like that. Gonna take a hard look at doing this if I can find a box.