Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering alignment

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Horse46, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Just my thoughts about my comments about the broken axle: As I said I spent much time going over what happened and although it all happened so fast, I do clearly remember no slamming on of the brakes, wild bumps or any other "normal" pre crash experiences. No other cars were involved, just one moment in control, the next bouncing off the guard rail. I still believe the axle failed, but am more than open for another explanation. Also I originally thought the front wheel got caught in the shoulder (less than 1') between the paved road and the guard rail, but there was no drop off between the road and the rail. When I talked to my friend who is much more knowledgeable than I am about metal, he pointed out to me the broken axle and talked to his friend who drops axles and this was their common opinion as to what happened. I would me very interested in any other theories as to what caused the crash, although I'm sure it is impossible to really know what caused it at this point in time.

bchctybob likes this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

^^^^This is gonna sound course but here goes...Who cares why or what? You're still here. Cars can be fixed and/or replaced. Happy to read of your tale. Now get out and drive!

Budget36 and Tman like this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have a Heidt's crossmember under my DeSoto wagon. I believe I'll box that open area in. Thanks for the reminder.

4. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

I drive my other hot rods everyday the snow isn't falling up here in the mountains I am blessed to live in!

5. Horse46

Horse46

I’m keeping it as wall art, and a reminder, also proof of how bad it was.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. fegsta

fegsta

7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Likely the best choice! Good luck.