Register now to get rid of these ads!

STEEN'S TACO Mini Bikes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUDOG, Feb 24, 2008.

1. RUDOG

RUDOG

Hey, anybody seen this minibike site before? Its pretty cool how many TACO Minibikes models they made back then. Burritos, Taquitos, and Frijoles. Real nice website of history of one of the Minibike Companys from Southern California. This guy put together all this info, and he isn't selling Nothin!!!......
    Check it out.:)
    http://steenstacominibikes.com/

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Cool, thanks.

3. 4woody

4woody

I wanted one of those so bad when I was 11! My parents said "No way." They thought I might get hurt...I found other ways to get hurt though.

4. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kinda O/T . rudog your avatar just took me back to my kid years . go dog go was one of my favorites

5. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have an all original 1969 Taco T99 that I will be restoring soon.

6. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

still have my taco 100

7. my mom had a 5 horse TACO, I raced Desert, District 37 back in the 60's. I had a standing bet of $20.00 if anyone could ride that TACO in a straight line for 50 feet at full throttle (with the governor wired wide open) never lost a dime and many tried. that sucker would wheelie' flop side to side and you'd be eating dirt in less than 10 feet.

I just went on the site and checked, Mom's was a 1969 series 99 llC with the 5 1/2 horse (no wonder)
    Steens also had a modified Hodaka that was a bad ass trailbike I think they had a 125 before Hodaka came out with their "Combat Wombat"

8. Also take a look at www.oldminibikes.com
    Not just Tacos, but every old minibike ever made...

This one's an old "El Tigre" sold by JC Penney....

Attached Files:

9. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Back in 1970 a buddy of mine had a new Steens with a 50cc Zundapp 2-stroke in it. It remember it having a beautiful purple-flaked streamlined fiberglass tank, it was a bad mini-bike in it's day.

Prior to that we tooled around on his Taco 44.

Good times.:cool:

10. casper

casper

Cool website! I have 2 nice Taco 22 frame and forks (pre 1968) for sale $300.00 each. Thanks. SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  11. RUDOG

RUDOG

That's a Great standing bet NONAME!! I love hearing stories like that. And your Mom had a 5hp TACO!! not too many people can say that either:)

I had a Mini arguement w/ my girlfriend over this post. She said:"Minibikes have nothing to do w/ Hot Rods & Customs!!" I told her that if you ever look at any old Hot Rod Magazines, you'll see at least a couple of Minibike & Go-Cart ads in the back and the front of these Old Hot Rod Magazines. People used to and some still do, ride them in the pits at the Drags, Car shows etc... and some of us(Including myself) learned alot about how to keep these minibikes running by working on them and taking off the Governors so they run faster. These minibikes were a stepping stone to working on cars once we got old enough to drive in my opinion I told her...She just gave me a Whatever Look...

The check is in the mail CASPER!!...see you at the March Meet in Bakersfield

12. Tony

Tony

Very cool stuff..
    I still have the mini bike my dad bought me back in '79 or '80..
    Not sure who made it though.
    He picked it up from another friend, who bought it for his kid in the late 60's..He told us he thought it was a'69 model year.
    My 0dad told me he remembered the kid riding it back then..
    I have alway's wondered what brand and year it was..
    I'll have to get pic's of it and get on one of those mini bike sites..

13. eye bone

eye bone

Back when I was in 7th & 8th grade that was the mimi bike that every kid I knew wanted.

I'm not positive… but some of that art looks like it could be real early Rick Griffin stuff…

14. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM