Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods STEELIES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 27, 2016.

1. I had my wheels sand blasted and powder coated on my 41 Pontiac [$20 apiece] and after about 14 months, it began to crack like lacquer! Rust came out of the cracks. I think my guy just coated over rust and paint. 41inthecorn.jpg

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Sounds like you got ripped off but then again what did you really expect for $20.00 a wheel.
    The ole saying "You get what you pay for" must have taken place here... Just saying....

Do it Over and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. locknut

locknut
    from louisiana

How do you handle large pits and scratches that need filler when powder coating. After the powder is applied it needs to be heat cured (high heat). Could this heat affect the filler and cause issues?

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Spray cans:
    !!1000lite.jpg !Winnemucca3.jpg
    Powder coat:
    !Toby@LARS11-1.jpg !Amado3.jpg
    Chrome:
    !ZtrimR2015.1.20.0500.jpg
    Powder coating is supposed to be more durable than paint, but not if you run beauty rings or full wheel covers. They gouge both coatings equally, in my experience.

36 ROKIT and lbcd like this.
  5. Plootz

Plootz

If you are having trouble finding a color for powder coating look on line @ Prizmatic Powders. The amount of colors will blow your mind.
    Bill

6. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

There is a local trailer place that powder coats for way to cheap so we do that on like 90% of the stuff we do, as long as its black cause that's only color they do. otherwise we paint.

7. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Rattle can, easily touched up.