Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steelies or mag wheels? Both are popular but what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 23, 2017.

1. 50 - we differ in opinion re: the ''look''steelies/slicks & mags up front, but you have a really valid point. "Poser'' cars have never been cool!

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Does anyone make chrome steelies with just one bolt pattern? I hate the multilug setups...

AHotRod and Racer29 like this.
  3. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, and the wallet decides a lot of how others perceive what your intentions are for it to look like.
    Wheels can make a car stand out and to not be looked at by observers, doesn't matter how many hand made pieces are in the puzzle.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. I say start off with some cheap steelies and when money permits, buy the mag's you want when you find them. Wheels and tire combos change the look of a car significantly. Keep both sets and swap them around when the mood strikes you ....

5. Try Wheel Vintiques, I just bought some Chrome 15" late Ford pattern wheels for my RPU. They may not accept early ford caps however, I am running 49-50 Merc caps.

Mick

Roothawg likes this.
  6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Steel wheels and hubcaps are stock OEM. You are a restorer , not a hotrodder if you don't run mags. :cool: ;)

7. Myself personally, I've been running Jeep front wheels:eek:, and Jeep center rear wheels w/8" wide Chevy pickup truck hoops:eek:, since 2010. Budget.
    I would love to have the budget of Hallibrand wheels, or recent repops, ain't happening.
    So, I ordered Coker steelies like HRP sedan, except with windows, and '47 Ford script style caps, and to be painted Allis Chalmers orange, just like the engine in my A sedan.
    I ordered that style of wheel and cap because I have, within my budget, been able to put a Ford dropped axle in the front, and I split the Ford wishbone myself. I have done many things to try to respect traditional within my budget, and still build a car from a body that restorers did not want because of rust damage.:D I had a lot of help with that sheetmetal work.
    Pics of soon change will be on the HAMB very soon. Waiting for the phone call of arrival.
    I almost covet many wheels that some of us can afford, and know where my wallet has the steering wheel.

8. John Stimac

John Stimac

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Bullshit. Nobody used mags on a street car before 1960.

AHotRod, Racer29, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That's because they were not available. Then hotrodders started making them to improve over OEM just like everything else they could think of. They started chroming and reversing original steel first to look better and stand out, then went on to completely new wheels. I was only trying to be humorous. Wasn't trying to offend guys that like original wheels and hubcaps. I am just one of those that was glad to get away from them and won't go back. If a guy likes them, enjoy them. Just answering the original question asked.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yes.

i.rant and lurker mick like this.
  12. It may just be me, but if I see a car with steels (especially black steels) and slicks out back, its got that down to business looks. No frills, just I'm here to go fast and get that job done I don't need to be flashy about it.

AHotRod, Racer29 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. No doubt it's what the style of the car dictates, or suggests if you prefer.

A couple years ago I got the opportunity to pick up a '32 roadster that had been well built and was about 90% of what I would have done had I put it together. Since I'm at an age where many might think it's a serious act of optimism to open a new family size tube of tooth paste, I decided rather than taking the years it would to build, I'd buy this one and tweak it to my desires in short order. As soon as I saw the car I knew the few tweaks it needed, it sort of spoke to me. My plan was to fashion it like what we desired in '63, a car transitioning from a '50s style to an updated version of itself as it progressed through time (what could be more traditional that that?). For me, a deuce hiboy needs a hood to accentuate it's lines, and even though I've done plenty of cars with steelies, this one needed 5 spokes. I dallied with the idea of a set of Olds hubcaps, but somehow they just didn't "feel" right (white walls might have been the added jazz that would have made them work, but I didn't want that look). While adding the wheels I also took care of the tire stagger as well. The tires that came with it were just off a bit.

My '40 coupe has steelies, and the in process '32 sedan will hit the road with steelies, so it's back to that notion.......the car and it's style choose the type of wheels (with plenty of influence from those pictures of what's "right" in our own heads). 32 hiboy 09.JPG 005a.jpg P2160020a.JPG

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Hankster32, AHotRod, 50Fraud and 4 others like this.
  14. robracer1

robracer1

mags only way to go on my 32 DSC01753.JPG

15. I just switched out the steelies on my '39, for the Americans..on this car I prefer the mags. IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2320.JPG

AHotRod, putz, MIKE STEWART and 3 others like this.
  16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg
    I got mine from Rally America, very satisfied !

AHotRod and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My days of polishing wheels are long over, :D steelies and caps for me.
    I prefer the understated look :cool:

TagMan likes this.
  18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. mlinton1941

mlinton1941

when you cant make up your mind ?

Attached Files:

20. [​IMG]

Ive got a set of '40 wheels for my sedan, as well as some divco milk truck wheels. Ive also got a set of wires too, but if i were to splash out and get some mags they would look like this...can anyone enlighten me and tell me what they are?

Sent from my SM-G900I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  22. Depends on the desired look.
    I've had a few different sets on my coupe and each is a dramatic change.

Steelies with disc...
    20130921_114906.jpg

Steelies with Merc caps...

20161202_124751.jpg

Magnesium...

20170526_154709.jpg

AHotRod, Racer29 and Kan Kustom like this.
  23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

chevy57dude likes this.
  24. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

25. Siva 64

Siva 64

26. Those look like the Rocket brand version (link from their ad on the Home page), American Racing makes something similar but different finish

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

I like them both. Depends on the application.
    Gary IMG_0642.JPG

putz and robracer1 like this.
  28. It's a '60-'64 Chev 10 bolt

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The older I get the more lazy I get so its steelies for me,wash and dry and that is all I want to do,if I do go back to a aluminum wheel it will be the gray centered Torque thrust. I had the polished ones on my country squire and too much work to keep them clean.

Attached Files:

TagMan likes this.