Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Steel wheels made from aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RmK57, Jun 20, 2018.

1. RmK57

RmK57

I wonder why nobody has tried manufacturing these. Or could they be manufactured at all.
    Think of the weight savings alone and being able to use your dog dish caps, custom built to any width, backspace, you could sell a ton of e'm I'm sure.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. I would imagine that by casting an aluminum wheel as thin as a stamped steel one would make for a very weak wheel.

clem, prewarcars4me and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O If you made them from aluminum then they wouldn't be steel wheels now would they :confused: :D

There would be major strength issues as well

4. Someone could make them, but they would only be good as a static display and NOT for use on a car on the street or strip.

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Jim beat me to it. Saw some several years ago that looked like chrome reverse wheels, were actually polished aluminum.

7. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

8. Mr. Squirrel has already posted the answer. :)
    But aluminum wheels need only be weak if you make 'em weak. 18 wheeler, big rigs have been equipped with aluminum wheels styled like steelies for years. If the thickness is scaled up slightly, from what is used for steel, for the duty required, the weight will still be less than steel.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I can hear it already:

"But, ARE they 'traditional'?"

Hnstray and Bleach like this.
  10. The weight savings might be less but they'd also be more expensive. Another thing would change is the backspace and the hub profile would be a little different.

11. LostBoy

LostBoy

Titanum... That's where it's at.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

prewarcars4me likes this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

13. rjones35

rjones35

14. 62rebel

62rebel

Rudge Whitworth racing wheels were the "thing" in the fifties on sports cars, etc..... might make them a little more acceptable to "tradition"?

Hnstray likes this.
  15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder how long aluminum wheels would last in the People's Republic of New York and the rest of the northeastern U.S. when driven daily throughout several Winters in the salt that keeps the roads clear ??

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Elcohaulic likes this.
  16. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

http://circleracing.com/92series.htm
    Talk to them. They'll make any size you want.

17. A Boner

A Boner

Not at a price that I would be comfortable paying.....just looking a Summit Racing off the shelf prices.....WTF!

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Weld an Centerline been doing it for years

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Some Chryslers had aluminum wheels in the 70s that looked like steel wheels. Some cars came with light weight spares in the 80s that were aluminum. Tbird was one, there were others. Have also heard of aluminum trailer wheels that looked like steelies.

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Vintage trailer wheels

20170722_124404.jpg

21. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I think Rudge Whitworth only made wire wheels. There was a German Rudge company that made conventional wheels of alloy for such as Porsche and M-B racecars of that era. Dunlop made disc wheels, as used on D-Type Jaguars and other Brit racers. These and similar are being repopped, check this site:
    http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/wheel.html
    If unsprung weight is such a concern to rodder's, I always wondered why they would put a Ford nine-inch in a light car powered by a flathead or fairly stock small block Ford/Chevvy!

Hnstray and ClayMart like this.
  22. I have 2 Cragar slots that the faces are aluminum and the rest are steel. Never been mounted. Basically brand new. 0617181529.jpg

23. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

After you can make steel wheels from aluminum. You should try making gold from lead

24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I recall when I first saw the Alcoa aluminum semi tractor wheels and really found them pretty. They presumably are a case of form following function, being strong enough and enough lighter than steel to pay their way.

The big truck wheels are forged aluminum, which seems to be better than for corrosion resistance.