Register now to get rid of these ads!

STEEL WHEEL Pic thread: (These puppies get pricey in a hurry)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Rem

Rem

Jeez, you guys don't know when you're well off! Typical price for 16" x 4" '40 Ford wheels is $100 - $120 each over here unless you get lucky. I had a bit of a collection of them at one point but have cut right down to a couple of sets now :D

My current obsession is even more expensive as I have been taken with these early '40s Kelsey-Hayes steel wheels that were made to bolt straight on to '28 - '35 Ford wire wheel hubs. I have some each in 4" and 4-1/2" widths, and assume they were marketed to allow folks to smarten up their old jalopies and to use the modern 16" tyres of the time? They take '40s Lincoln hubcaps which are also proving expensive to get hold of, especially if you have to buy a set of four '47 caps to get two plain ones (the front caps have Lincoln badges on, the rears are plain as they were behind the shirts).

I would have one in the spare slot on the fender, but I had to deflate the skinny 18" tyre to get it in there so no chance with a wider 16" one - one of my winter jobs is to modify the slot to make room for a bigger tyre.

Attached Files:

2. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Why? The idea behind steel wheels is the look. The style I wanted couldn't be had with old wheels, so I bought new steelies. If you want narrow steelies, then old ones typically work, if you want a certain larger width and offset sometimes new works, and the look is typically the thing with steelies.

3. 05snopro440

05snopro440

That looks awesome! I love the color!

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Maybe I should start saving all the old rims that roll through the shop?
    I picked these up for $15 a piece + 2 core fee.I plan on reversing 2 for the rear,
    They are off a 1948/49 Chrysler made by The Motor Wheel Company:confused: found a set of Oldsmobile dog dish that fit.

Attached Files:

5. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Then there's the junk 1948 Chevy 1/2 ton with some real killer smooth (kinda looks like early ford) 6 bolt 15' non split wheels. or the stack of 40-50 Plymouth/Dodge looking rims.
    Then there was these.

Attached Files:

6. Got the fronts (16x4 Hudson I think) at a farm auction for $10 ea. Just picked up the rears (with rough, roller-quality 6.50-16 tires AND another pair with junk tires, all off of an IHC truck) for free! The paint even matches (sort of) - good enough to roll the '32 around anyhow. Even got free International hubcaps (again, kinda rough but usable). All are 5 on 4 1/2" - the pattern that this car was set up with when I bought it. I mounted a pair of junk Firestone 5.50-16 ribs up front and I think 03.JPG 04.JPG 06.JPG 07.JPG 02.JPG it looks pretty cool.

Steve

7. Guys, I could use a pair of 16x5 early Ford steelies, if anyone knows where a pair might be.
    Thanks,
    Steve

8. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

does anyone know whether its possible to find a set of 16x4.5 on a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, with the JJ safety stamping (for having the safety beads inside the rims)
    we need that stamping over here in australia and it seems impossible for me to find a set

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Bought that new in '57. Stick shift 2-door post sedan. Replaced the stock trans with a LaSalle floor shift, several years later a B&M Hydro. The B&M was by far the best, but the LaSalle was the coolest.