Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steel wheel adaptor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Jan 8, 2015.

1. I am thinking of using a narrowed diff ( 56" flange to flange I think) that's set up for 5 on 4 1/2 for my Model A build. I would like to use 5 on 5 1/2 stud pattern so I can use early wire rims.
    Is there any steel adaptor so I run 5 on 5 1/2 wheels with this diff?
    I have found a lot of alloy adaptors available but only want steel.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I couldn't find any a few years ago after looking pretty hard, but was assured that the aluminum ones would be fine if installed right. Ran a set for 5 years, no issues.....

3. swifty

swifty

What are your plans for rego as the Vicroads accepted engineers will not accept wheel adapters? I think even multi-drilled wheels are a no-go. If your going with Historic rego then may not be a problem unless you have to get a RWC.
    Neway Wheel works in Heidelberg will modify your wires by cutting out the 5 on 5 1/2 centre and welding in a 5 on 4 1/2 centre. This also spaces the wheel out to clear the larger diameter brake drum on your later diff.

4. It's a XA or XB diff narrowed so has the 10" brakes, I also have a huge F100 9" diff housing complete with brakes I can have narrowed. It's the big shoulder type, 31 spline and weighs twice as much as the old banjo.
    My engine is a basic insert bearing Model A engine producing at best about 60/65 hp and hooked up to a 904 auto.
    I have engine, gearbox, F1 front brakes and everything else sorted but don't know what way to go with the diff.
    Love to find a later banjo with open driveline but not easy to find.
    Club rego for this thing when done. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420719302.401224.jpg

5. swifty

swifty

6. aaggie

aaggie

If you really want steel it shouldn't be too hard to cut circles out of say 3/4" plate and drill the two patters. Push the wheel mount studs through from the backside and countersink the front for nuts to mount it to the drum.

7. Hi Aaggie, that's really what I'm looking for, why does no one make this type of adaptor. Will be way better than alloy.

8. I asked that same question, and was told by everyone who I found that made these that aluminum offered more than enough strength, was far easier to machine, and weighed a lot less. They did admit that in a catastrophe (like a rollover accident) the aluminum may fail, but pointed out that in that event, did it really matter? Keep in mind that the minimum thickness you'll probably be able to attain will be no less than about 7/8" if leaving enough room for a full-size retaining nut. You can buy ready-made adaptors at 1" thick, thicker if you need the additional offset.

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The adapter needs to be 1.25 thick to properly make the early wire wheels mount corectly. Also 32-48 rears are easy to convert to open drive, home brew or aftermarket kits.

10. Is the Speedway open drive kit too pricey ? .....How is the supply of old dana 44 axles like in old shoeboxes ?.....still most likely too heavy.....