Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Steel In Motion - May 19 and 20, 2017

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Geargoyle Curtis, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Been working all day. Stopping for a bite to eat.
    That shit was a riot last weekend! That was definitely not the last time shenanigans will be had in that get up!

Dog_Patch and PBRmeASAP like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What did I miss? Pics or it didn't happeno_O

Dog_Patch likes this.
  3. You talked me into coming on down........Then I realized the Jalopy Showdown is the same weekend.:( Damn, maybe next year.

mad mikey and lothianwilly71 like this.
  4. ^^^ It's ALWAYS the same weekend!!! Get used to it! :(

5. Caffeine and Octane in Jekyll Island a couple weekends ago...
    Go\'Rilla.jpg

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Went to Summit yesterday evening and picked up a pair of MT pro bracket radial slicks in 9.00X28 size for my roadster BGII. The old castoffs that were given to me that I was using when @ drags were worn out, hard, and really too big for my weak little SBC anyhow. These are supposed to be more consistent on a manual trans car.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. Are you going to end up getting wheels from the link that Jeffy sent? Sounded like a hell of a deal, and you could have a matching set of Daisy's for not a lot of coin.

Tudor likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Daisys I have are 10" and MT specs the 9X28 radial for 8"-10" so I'm OK. I plan to stick with steel wheels. baby moons and beauty rings with WWs for the street. The Cokers are getting old and hard and I'm considering replacing with Diamondback radial WWs.:confused:

Dog_Patch and Tudor like this.
  10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Need a bit of tweaking on BGII the last couple of days and when I realized the gas in it was put in last Fall before RWYB in Oct, I decided to take it out and rive for a bit to burn some of that old gas up plus check out how it ran after the work I had done since last year with the problems @ RWTB, as I had only drive in town a bit since I corrected the misfire problem.
    Engine runs great, but getting outside of town so I could nail it revealed a bit of clutch slippage:eek: Not enough to even notice in town where you sorta hafta behave, but enough it ain't gonna handle drag strip launches and the bite of those new slicks:rolleyes: Just glad I took it out and beat on it a bit and found it now rather than at the strip.
    Even an old fart like me oughta be able to handle this in the time we have left before SIM.:D

Dog_Patch and Tudor like this.
  11. Go Dave go...you can do it

Tudor likes this.
  12. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Looks like quite the get together!!!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I call it "Woodstock for hot rodders":cool:

Higgy's Henry and Tudor like this.
  14. Canadians even come to this event - sometimes.

Higgy's Henry likes this.
  15. thunderplex

thunderplex

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Busting what's left of my wore out old ass to put a clutch in BGII. If all the stuff is in stock I should be OK.

17. Where are you at on the clutch DOM?

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Finally got it all out from underneath, which turned to be a PITA because when I put trans in last time I had the floorboards out because I was replacing it with another one with relocated shifter hole because of changing shifter location and type. I didn't think ahead far enough on what would have to be done to later remove trans for service on it or on clutch, so I had some almost impossible bolts to access!
    Finally got it all out and "A" & "B" measurements per McLeod taken and with the wear in disc from feathering clutch to keep from spinning those no grip Cokers so bad, I had worn the disc till press. plate fingers moved to rear so much that the TO Brg was depressing fingers about .135" with TO Brg retracted all the way:eek: No wonder the damn thing was slipping:oops:
    McLeod now has an adjustable piston for hyd. TO Brg. so I'll be able to set it up more to my liking, last time the TO Brg was almost touching fingers on pp when I installed and all it took was a little wear on disc to start the process of wearing out to point of slippage.
    Just got off phone with McLeod and they are shipping me new disc and press. plate, TO BRG hyd seals, and adjustable piston assy. today by 2nd day air, assured me all was in stock and would go out today:rolleyes:
    If no snafus or fuck ups happen should be OK on time, but if things go wrong, then who knows? But I'll be @ SIM one way or another:cool: If BGII ain't ready, then I'll just bring the '40 coupe, but just to show, not drag:( Will still have to put on trailer even then as there ain't enough room for Frank, me, our luggage,my CPap, etc. cooler and scooter in the '40.

PBRmeASAP and Dog_Patch like this.
  19. That's the way I have explained it,the only thing missing is Jimi Hendrix crack of dawn rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.HRP

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  20. So I just took off work next Friday to head down for Steel in Motion! Pumped to get to this show. I'm planning on camping there. After looking at the website I don't see anything about if you need to reserve a camping spot. or if its first come first serve. Anyone have any recommendations for this? Does the camping area fill up early on Friday? If so I'm trying to figure out when I need to get there to make sure I get a spot. @Geargoyle Curtis

21. The SFCC camp is usually along the fence. In general its a plop your tent where you can find a spot. Some folks do stay up late so plop accordingly :rolleyes: don't be a stranger - or just be strange.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've still got to burn out the gas in BGII when I get the clutch in, which is scheduled to arrive in town in the morning. But McLeod says you need a "break in" period on a clutch anyhow if the disc has organic lining, so I can do both at the same time.
    But if I can find some 101 race gas or similar on the way up I'd rather fill back up with that than the panther piss they're pumping outta the street pumps these days. Be hitting I20 East at just East of US 411 junction and at exit 5 in SC I'll be heading North on SC121 on up thru Whitmire, SC and on to track. Anybody know of a station along that route selling race has, Sunoco or sumpin?
    Do they sell gas at the track?
    On edit: Called Curtis and he said they sell race gas there. So I'm now wondering what octane it is? If it's 110 or so, then I'm thinking of going to track with about 4- or so gallons of 90 octane ethanol free and then pouring in about 3-4 gallons of race gas. Comments?
    Nailhead Jason: If you're racing or showing a car you can get over to trackside on a first come first serve basis. If you're camping purely as a spectator you are again first come first served on the pit side of track over by the tree line maybe 50-75 yards from trackside fence. This is according to Curtis.

23. I'll make sure I bring a few extra jars to share with the Sock Fuckers...

GreenMtnBoy and Dog_Patch like this.
  24. I'll either be heading down in my roadster or my 51 Chevy. Leaning toward the roadster right now. So I'll be there for the show as well.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  25. Hmmmm... I might slip in the gates and wander around aimlessly. I am supposed to be in Atlanta that weekend for don family bullshit,, but it's Steel In Motion!! I feel a like might be too sick to go west, but just well enough to go northeast!! No car though!!

If your not going to use your head, you might as well have two assholes!!

26. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

You need to bring that Henry J!!!!!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  27. You realize they have a bullhorn :D

28. Do you need a tent? I got a bag and tent for ya brother! Been too long! READ - you are sleeping by yourself - or at least not with me :confused:

Stewed likes this.
  29. Sweet. Ill bring mine too...

brett4christ and Dog_Patch like this.
  30. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

There are not any spots to reserve. Just park and camp. The place was packed last year and will probably fill up this year as well. Love thy neighbor. Lol