Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steel blower studs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 01mikep, Jan 24, 2016.

1. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

I picked up an older Weiand blower intake a while back and am using it on my current build. My question is, should I use the steel blower studs that were on it when I got it or swap them out for modern aluminum ones?

When did steel studs go out of use? I could clean these up and use them if that's fine. All blower studs I've run in the past were aluminum.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Aluminum are use in case of a suvear back fire
    To pervent Blower case damage,
    Make shore NOT to Lock down the Back Fire Valve ,
    I have ran steel studs on Mild Boost ,

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. squirrel

squirrel

If you are going to drag race it, you might need the aluminum studs to pass safety inspection.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, wouldn't you have to use retention straps too, if you are using aluminum studs?

I would think that a blower launch, while fun to watch, would not be the safest thing.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I guess one of us will have to get out the rule book (pdf)....let's see...yeah, you need a blower restraint if you run alcohol. You need studs if you're running in Advanced ET classes or faster. Not for Sportsman. So steel studs should be ok.

Thanks

hipster likes this.
  6. nice vintage pieces on the engine. I like it. I use aluminium studs because its easier to get the blower on without the gasket sliding around. with the pop off valve in place the explosion would have to be beyond extreme. I would think you are safe with steel. for the extra safety and ease of maintainance they are only about 60 dollars. if you have a gasket under your pop off valve carry a extra gasket in the car. when they blow they usually rip. then you have a huge vacumn leak.

7. They are just as safe as anything else if you are not standing in the debris field. LOL

I think that steel studs would be fine for most HAMBers, it is on the serious racers that need to be looking at serious race chit.

hipster likes this.