Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steel 32 ford 3 window rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crafty B, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Crafty B

Crafty B

Thanks for the kind words guys!!

I have the lower switch box pattern all built and off to the foundry tomorrow, I also made the knob pattern for the rotary switchs.

stay tuned...
    Crafty

2. 409deuce

409deuce

3. Crafty B

Crafty B

I managed to get the switch box pretty much done today and I milled a step so the engine turned inserts will fit flush. I made a couple different face plates and Im not sure what one to use at this point but Im leaning towards the smooth face. I believe I have over a 100 hours into this project with the dash and switch box at this time...I think it was worth it though.

CB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. Amazing work, love the switch panel

5. That is super cool! Is the oil pressure gauge a test for us to see if we are paying attention? :)

6. Crafty B

Crafty B

haha you got me on the psi gauge!!!

7. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Damn that dash is cool looking for sure. Did you make the dash..

8. Crafty B

Crafty B

I made the patterns out of wood and had it cast in alumumin..then sanding the daylights out of it to get it to what you see.
    CB

9. Cshabang

Cshabang

the dash is killer man!!!! like the switch panel too

10. kisam

kisam

Your craftsmanship is inspiring!

11. tinmann

tinmann

Excellent progress report as usual......

12. Crafty B

Crafty B

Thanks guys

The body will be coming back off soon but I need to build the hood first, I have a couple idea's rattling around in my head....

CB

13. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Excellent dash! It looks custom, but like it was made back in the day. Great details.:D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  14. Damn, it just keeps getting better and better!!! The switch panel rocks ...........!!!!!!!!!!

15. Crafty B

Crafty B

banged out a coulpe dents and filed it all smooth in the trunck lid last night, louvering today but the question is clam shell style or standard 3" ???

Im leaning towards the clam shell
    CB

16. hdv32

hdv32

One of the best examples of old world craftsmanship I have ever seen. Looks great, keep up the good work. I could only wish I had those kind of skills.

17. Crafty B

Crafty B

Here is the louverd deck lid with the clam shell style louvers... Im not sure, what do you guys think? I can cut the center out and replace it with a flat style louverd panel no problem.

CB

Attached Files:

18. um......nup, respect it, but my 2c would be that if you can change to a more common 3" louvre....then I'd pursue.

Everything else rocks, did you ever go any further with an intake pattern out of curiousity?

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

19. where's the glovebox door ?

20. WOW!!!!!!!!!!

How I missed this build is beyond me but what a build. Please keep the updates coming and love all the home made items.

21. Crafty B

Crafty B

glove box....and done
    CB

Attached Files:

22. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Crafty, My vote would be for the Clam Shell style ! Like the look of those on your deck lid. Need to use them on my "A" Coupe - if I may borrow your idea ?

Dave

23. hasty

hasty

For what it is worth I like your louvers as you have done them. They are like Thunderbirdesq's trunk lid that looks really good too. And apart from if you park next to him, you will not look like all the rest.
    Will you paint the aluminum castings? The workmanship is outstanding, but there are a lot of different things demanding your attention in there?

24. carry on !
    i see that a tray that attached on the door side that fits into the firewall side going 1/3 the way up will be like opening a fridge door and having yer beer right handy ????

25. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

I dont think they go with your car at ALL! you should cut that palel off and sell it to me so i can put it on my A haha.

26. Crafty B

Crafty B

still on the fence with the panel...I should just let it be for a couple days. I need to get the rolled pan started but there's a 3 foot wall of snow in front of the shop so Im staying put for now.

cb

27. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

I'm thrilled to see this thread back at the top. The workmanship on this car is amazing...I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next!

28. Crafty B

Crafty B

Im trying to give the car an old race car/bonniville feel to it, not sure where Im heading most of the time that's way it takes my so long to actually complete one area. I have been working on a full wheel cover that will incorporate my knock off pressure plate in the center with either the large nut or wing spinner. I like the way the mock up looks, if you where to extend the outer ring that's outside of the finned plate to the outer wheel area (by the valve stem) that's what Im talking about...just need to finish the pattern, get it casted then polish... I will paint the outer lip of the wheel and pinstip it. Im stuck home today so I need to draw up a few parts so I can hit it hard over the weekend. Thanks for the imput on the clam louvers, I don't love it but I just wanted it different than the standard flat louvers.

CB

Attached Files:

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Keep those louvers. I've done several cars wsith that style of louver and IMHO they have an old timey look. Many of the louvers being punched today look like they belong on a refrigerator!

30. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

My vote is for the clamshell louvers ... they're more in keeping with the vintage look you're going for ... just my 2 bits.