Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steel 3/16 inverted flare x 1/8 male npt adapter needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil P, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi everyone

Like the title says I'm looking for a steel or ss adapter for my residual pressure valves. I find that the brass ones that are easily available are very thinned walled and fail with very little torque. I even had one split over the weekend just sitting on the car.
    I know this might be in part do to my dam fat fingers but I have lost confidence in this adapter and nobody needs that in a brake component.

Mr google has been no help with this adapter in anything but brass.

Thanks in advance

Phil

2. fortynut

fortynut

McMaster-Carr, prowl the pick-a-parts, and keep and eagle eye out at the swap meets, all the while thinking about how to come up with an alternative solution to using both. And pray like you are in a war --- because that's what is going on between us and these old rattle-traps we sometimes end up lovin' one day and hatin' the next.

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Being that you're not able to find anything but brass might mean that using brass is generally successful . Put away the 24" pipe wrench.

Irish Mike, Tman and 62SY4 like this.
  4. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

egads and milwscruffy like this.

5. Earls 02032ERL Hardline Adapter, 1/8 Inch NPT Male to 3/8-24 IFF
    Universal Fit, 1/8" NPT Male Fitting End A, 3/8"-24 I.F. Female Fitting End B, Stainless Steel
    upload_2020-9-2_7-50-41.png

egads likes this.
  6. 54vicky

54vicky

totally agree monkey wrench:eek: stainless MAY pose a problem with galling.used brass for many years no problem along with larger for fuel pump

ted kovacs likes this.
  7. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol, I did spend 35 years as a gas fitter but I did leave my 24" wrench in my tool box. I was using my 6" flare nut wrench's? I tried creeping up on just tight enough but over did it a couple of times.

Phil

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  8. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, my search skills have always been poor.

Phil

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've installed and used hundreds of brass 1/8 NPT to 3/8-24 IF fittings over many years (Weatherhead 202X3) and can't remember more than one or two failures, most likely due to several people wrenching on the same vehicle. Your flares may be at fault, resulting in over-tightening.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  11. This ^^

12. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who knows, weatherhead fittings may be superior to what's available locally.
    I've ordered the ss fittings if only for my piece of mind.

Phil

13. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered the fittings from summit last Wednesday and they arrived this morning (pretty good service over a long weekend)
    I'm happy I did, not only are they SS, the walls of the fittings are thicker (1/2" wrench needed instead of 7/16")
    Thanks again everyone

Phil

milwscruffy likes this.
  14. Now, don't tighten them up too much, and split the RPV. Glad you found what you needed, good luck with the brakes.