Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steamboat's Cali vacation thread 2009. Chapter 1: The Journey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steamboat, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Steamboat

Steamboat

Well, this is going to be a long thread, so crack a cold one or get the bong out of the freezer and get comfortable now y'all........................

Basically I've been wanting to hit up a large West Coast car show for awhile now, and I finally was able to make up a good enough excuse to go to the Primers when I needed to check out photography schools in the L.A area, namely the Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara, as well as the Art Institute of California in Santa Monica. I also wanted to be able to see the Big Sur drive, as I missed it on my last trip down the coast because I took the boring old 5 through Salinas and mile after mile after mile of lettuce fields, Mexicans and tractors. This time I arranged (Completely throught text messaging, I might add) for my buddy Jack (Snacklord) to pick me up from the airport in San Jose on Wednesday and crash in Santa Cruz for the night. Then on Thursday Jack, his friend Maya, and myself would all jump in his rediculously dope 1965 Riviera and make our way down the coast to the Motel 6 in Ventura for some relaxation and catching up before the Primer Nationals opened on Saturday. I had my plane ticket in hand, rental car waiting for me in L.A, time off work, a bunch of clean socks, my favorite pink shorts and my camera(s). This thread will be the chronicle of my journey.

Chapter 1

The Journey begins.....................

[​IMG]
    "And I'll take to the sky on a natural high............."

[​IMG]
    Some dirt.

[​IMG]
    Denver.

[​IMG]
    San Jose.

[​IMG]
    San Jose a little closer.

[​IMG]
    After an uneventful flight, Jack picked me up from the airport in San Jose and began showing me around the beautiful town of Santa Cruz.

[​IMG]
    Holy Vintage Deck Batman!!!! From the Snacklord Estate.

He treated me to a decandent breakfast before he had to head of to work punching holes in people. After dropping me off at the hotel, I immediatley retired to my room (agian, which he himself paid for) and took a fat-ass nap. Maya picked me up that evening in Claus Von Hindenberg the Mercedes and we went to the store to get food.

[​IMG]
    Holy white rims Batman!! Let's take a closer look..............

[​IMG]
    Yup. Daisy's, and not daisy mags, just................daisys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at Jack's Tattoo parlor (True Art) Jack and company were preparing to engorge on some tacos before we all hit the bar that night............

[​IMG]
    We drank, and smoked, and smoked, and drank. Fun times were had by all, but soon it was time to turn in, as we had a long day of driving ahead of us.

2. Steamboat

Steamboat

[​IMG]
    After waking up at 6:00 am (Still on Michigan time), and devouring the continental breakfast, I put on my pink shorts, took a dip in the pool, then I showered up and waiting for my ride...............
    [​IMG]
    Here is the car I would be spending the next 7 hours in.
    [​IMG]
    We made a quick jog to the UPS to pick up Jack's new "TRUE ART" T shirts (Hope you bought one) then it was off to the quarter wash to prepare the frontend for the all day barrage of insects unfortunate enough to be caught in it's path....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Back at the shop Jack and Maya, and myself took care of a few last minute things, like filling the trunk up with water, then taking some of the water out as the back was too low.
    [​IMG]
    Don't forget to turn the light off in the bathroom.
    [​IMG]
    And we're off!!! Goodbye Santa Cruz......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hey there.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A LeBaron!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Steamboat

Steamboat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Got boars?

[​IMG]
    Moon Equipped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Old Rasputin" beer.

[​IMG]

Miles and miles and miles of rugged coastal beauty, coupled with a throaty exhaust rumble, as well as an insatiable urge to take pictures constantly, tends to make a man hungry. We stopped at a bar/grill along the route that was owned by a friend of Jack's and stuffed some food into our stomaches. As you can see, Jack treated me to a nice burger.

With food in our stomaches, we continued south.

4. Sean

Sean

Great photos so far! Jack's a dork with a nice ride... he is one of the 'good' ones.
    Did you have fun on Hwy 17? First time as a passenger can be quite the experience.

5. ShortBus

ShortBus

That's an epic drive in an old car. Thanks for the great pics.

Did that in my '60 once with longboards and my homie Wrocket. 4 days surfing and camping our way up the coast with no schedule. Malibu to Santa Cruz. Good times.

Smack Jack the snack in the sack for me.

6. flynstone

flynstone

one page thats it?????????? you big fucking tease,,, looks good cant wait to see the pic of the bum with the shopping cart at the motel 6....wink wink

7. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I love reading your post bro & as always awesome pics....Jack RULES...and Maya :)

8. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Pictures suck.. maybe you should go to some photography school or sum'fin.

9. Steamboat

Steamboat

To resume our journey.........................
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JUyu4Y1sUk[/youtube]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WE'RE HERE!!!
    [​IMG]
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7rTMnKun0[/youtube]

10. Steamboat

Steamboat

Alright, we're back on track.
    Chapter 2. Long walks on the beach, and short runs to the toilet.
    I wound up crashing the night before in Eryk's room. I slept like an Ypsi crackhead does during the daytime, to be awoken at 7:30 by a caffine-deprived roommate in need of a fix. Coffee, to be exact. He asked if I wanted one and then vanished into the bright daylight which now consumed the sky. I wiped the sleep from my eyes and stumbled over to the door. I poked my head out into a beautiful warm cloudless morning on a coastal California sky. I realized we were the first two awake at the entire joint. Thus begins day 2 of my vacation:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Note how the handicapped arrow is pointing towards Alex's head)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Nevermind those little green things in the ice, they are nothing.)
    [​IMG]
    Los Boulevardos C.C-Miles of Smiles.(Copyright 2009 John Manney)
    [​IMG]
    I hitched a ride with Bretta, and we cruised around town. It is worth noting here that Bretta is a man from Alberta, and I don't know Canada very well, but I will tell you that him and his girlfriend drove 25 hours to get to the show EACH DIRECTION. It is also worth noting here that he did it in a slammed Volkswagon Jetta with the front bumper ONE. INCH. Off. The. Ground. How hardcore are you?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This ad was seen inside the Denny's across the street from the motel.
    After tearing through our pancakes, after driving me to Denny's, Bretto then preceded to pick up my tab!!
    Thanks again Bretto. A fine chap he is!!
    [​IMG]
    His girlfriend was getting a cute footpiece done as well.
    (Here's a hint: If you put your thumb over your screen and cover up her toes, it kinda looks like a thong.)

[​IMG]
    Alex get's the "Most tranny fluid on the header panel" award for his selfless act of keeping as much of Flynstone's spraying fluids off of California's roads while driving behind him.

Enough about that stuff, lets get on to what you really want to read about: The Canadian Crew's trip to the beach!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Canadian Crew.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yup. That's me.

11. Steamboat

Steamboat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This guy gets the award for having a swimsuit that matches his Moon flipflops.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look!! Mexicans!! Memo and Tony arrive on the scene.
    [​IMG]
    Alot of cars had found there way to the motel by late afternoon, lets have a closer look.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi Mom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wayne and his father built a beautiful 55 Buick. But they have more plans for it yet. Cool dudes too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Steamboat

Steamboat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stoney.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tony's Galaxie with brand new House of Gooz orange paint.
    [​IMG]
    Him: "Hey bro, take a picture of my ride."
    Me: "You got it."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Huey, Rick, Tony, and Jack. There was a fifth man in the photo but Huey ate him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Steamboat

Steamboat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Viejitos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The group rounded themselves up and off we went to this mexican resteruante where "The locals are really protective"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Flynstone: "You know what's wrong with those flames? They're cute. Flames should never be cute."
    [​IMG]
    Flynstone face-to-face with the 3-legged "Gimp fork" that got passed to him. Point and laugh!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No. YOUR gay!!
    [​IMG]
    Crunchy sock and Tony doing the "No speaka english" face.
    [​IMG]
    The food!!!!!
    This story is a funny one to everyone except two unfortunate fellows who had eaten dinner with us. Tony and Gooz,
    the most hardcore Mexicans of the group, couldn't handle there meals at a Mexican resteraunte. They made it to the bathroom safely. Point and laugh!!!
    [​IMG]
    In case any of you missed the "Assless Chaps" episode, basically the guy in the red shirt (I knew his name at one point)
    Ran around the length of the motel wearing no shirt and assless chaps. It was amazing, and I was laughing to hard to photograph it. I bedded down in Alex's room early, because the next morning was gonna be an early one.

Next Chapter: The show!!!

14. flynstone

flynstone

that boy just aint rite...................................good pics dude, thanks cant wait for more