Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stealth Alternator, who's used one ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Oct 30, 2016.

1. As the title implies. If you've used one, how do you like it and any problems ? Providing your vehicles only needs 45 amps of power. [​IMG]

Barn Find likes this.
  2. Bttt for the back to work Monday crowd.

3. metalman

metalman

I put one on the last flathead I built. Other then paying for it I liked it and it worked fine, nothing looks out of place more on a flathead then a conventional alternator sitting up on top. Guess it depends on how much it shows, I wouldn't bother other then the look.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  4. That's the thing, it will "look" better than a conventional alternator. The stealth unit is around half the cost of it's competitor so why pay that much more for the look.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

If you only need 45 amps,why put an alternator on ?

Truck64 likes this.
  6. metalman

metalman

Oh, didn't realize Stealth was a brand, never heard of them. I used a Powergen so I can't vouch for the quality. For half the cost I'd probably give them a try.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Never used one, but I like it.

After having a generator on my '63 Comet go out on a long cross country trip, I converted it to a Mustang alternator, so I could get a replacement at any auto parts store should that happen again. Nowadays, I think I would stick with the generator and carry parts to repair it if I was worried about it.

8. I'm not you.

9. Johnny
    Back when I first joined the HAMB some of the fellas were complaining that they over heated on them. But that was when some of the fellas were making their own.

They are a little pricey but"powermaster" makes one that has had pretty good reviews. If I wasn't one of those let it all hang out guys and wanted a stealth alternator I would go that route.

10. ^^^^^ Thanks PorknBeaner for answering the question as asked. The Powermaster was and still is my first option if I really want to pay that much to "look" :cool:. That being said, the 32 Pick-Up I'm doing will only need enough amp's to cover headlamp's (tail lamps included with and occasional blink blink ;) ;)) and the ignition (points) system and gauges. What more do I need. Plus, I don't want to go totally correct and use a Generator and Regulator.

11. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Why not just run a Generator

12. Refer to reply #8 to reply #5 and on reply #10 I stated "I don't want to".

13. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I know this isn't what you asked, but I agree on the alternators looking very wrong on a flat motor. On my old hot rod I didn't want to pay up for a powermaster and had also heard reports of over heating on some home built ones.
    So, I mounted an alternator to the rear axle and ran it off the drive shaft. It didn't charge while you weren't moving, but would start charging almost immediately when rolling. I ran 15,000 trouble free miles that way.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The problem for me was not so much the generator as it was finding a reliable regulator. I fought charging issues for months and on to years with my F1. Half a dozen regulators and three generator rebuilds and I would still have completely random charging issues.

Now running a Powergen with the pulley swapped for an original Ford one. Puts out 90+ amps. Haven't had time to hide the breaker inside a regulator case but I'm in no huge hurry.

bct and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. Plus, the Powergen had a HAMBer, EricE, working on the project. Several of us sent in old Gennies so they could develope the product.

16. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

One was on the flatty already , ( Stealth alternator ) the only problem I have & do not like , under 900 rpm's no charge.
    To many other things wright now to see why , but over 900 ok !

Johnny Gee likes this.
  17. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

I have a Stealth Alternator on the 283 SBC in my '32 Pickup. The truck has been on the road since January (daily driven most of that time) and I am very happy with the unit. Like you, my trucks electrical demands are low with ignition & lights and 45 amps gets the job done just fine. No doubt the PowerGen is a nice unit but I certainly don't need 100 amp charging system and the cost is considerably higher. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Stealth.

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

Are you considering purchasing it from Rotten Leonard on here? If so, he's a good guy!

:cool:

Blues4U and Johnny Gee like this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Doesn't the wiring harness as well need to be updated then? Jus Sayin'. Assuming these "extra" amps will be used, one can't just slap a 100 amp alternator on without roasting the wiring in use. In theory it sounds like a good way to start a fire.

19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Seems to me years ago somebody was stuffing the guts from Toyota (or some other forgin car) alterators into old Generaters, if you supplied a core.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  20. Thanks Dennis for the nice review. Exactly what I requested. Nice Pick Up as well. I followed along on your thread to mainly see how a stock unit looks. The 32 I'm doing for my girlfriend has a firewall that's been to hell and back. But with your photo's I was able to see detail's that had gotten lost or cut away. It to will be powered by a SBC that was already sitting between the frame rails by the time I got to it. Oh, and yes I would purchase it from Rotten. It was his classified is where I seen it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  21. Not an issue here because this is a full gut. I do my own wiring as well.

Yes, I've seriously considered giving it a try. But not in the present. To many other thing's that can use this time more wisely.

22. Honestly on a deuce unless its totally high tech an alternator looks out of place. This said by a guy who doesn't really care town a deuce (maybe a 5 window ;) ), or who normally overlooks things like alternators.

I run electric pump, on my cars as a rule, and sometimes high zoot lighting. I doubt that I really need much more then 45-65 amps but I own a 110 that I built from scratch about 15 or so years ago. I really don't need it. I may go to an external regulated GM alternator. My builds are all pretty much '60s builds anyway and I converted lots of cars to the GM alternator when I was kid.

OK off on a rabbit trail, the genny is the proper look in my mind. Either stealth or original. One could always use a gutted regulator for a junction box if need be. ;)

Johnny Gee likes this.
  23. ^^^^^ Bingo on the gutted reg. ;)

24. An old regulator shouldn't be too hard to find, or worth much. Hell you could probably get a cheapo good one from the local auto parts for about 10 bucks if you could find a vintage one in someone's junk. ;)